Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Some Kernel Questions/ request for clarification...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27

    Some Kernel Questions/ request for clarification...

    Knoppix has gotten me back into Linux after a bit of a hiatus (wife, kids, job, etc.). Pretty easy install compared to the last time I did this and KDE is real impressive (I imagine Gnome would be just as good) as compared to the WM I used to use (FVWM2).

    I've since installed the nVidia modules and got them working. Then downloaded and installed some appropriate "test" software (Quake III, Unreal Tournament). Works quite well.

    Now, I'm trying to get my scanner and webcam to work. Modules for both need to be compiled against the kernel and it appears that I do not have the kernel source with the distribution. It also appears that the Knoppix kernel has a couple of minor mods (XFS patch and longer boot parameter line). So, it looks like I either need the kernel source from Knoppix or I should consider rolling back to a "pristine" Debian kernel (I'm using Reiser, so I don't really need the XFS patch).

    Assuming I stay at the same release (2.4.20 I think), will I be able to build all my modules back in at compile time (such as nVidia)? or will I need to re-install all of them again? Also, anybody used the kernel configurator in KDE?, is it any good?

    It's been a few years since I've done a kernel rebuild so I'm a bit rusty. However, I see that Debian appears to have some methods to streamline the process.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Having your own kernel built is the only viable long term solution(if you want to use linux in a constant basis). This IMO is a design flaw of linux(well from an end user point of view, could be desirable for those who don't afraid to compile things).

    If you are running a HD based KNOPPIX, there would not be any problem plugging in a complete different kernel but if you still use the CD based system(RO file system), you need to tweak something so the correct set of loadable modules are loaded(built together with your kernel) as mixing kernel and LKM is not a good idea(again, IMO a design flaw).

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about updating kernel from 2.4 to 2.6
    By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 03:19 AM
  2. Request for Kelmo
    By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 05:22 AM
  3. Clarification/advice on some installation points
    By eSCHEn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:07 AM
  4. newbie kernel comiling questions
    By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 05:50 PM
  5. REQUEST: 2.4.22 kernel incl ACPI
    By pooh_ in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$1090.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good

$649.00



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00