-
Junior Member
registered user
Some Kernel Questions/ request for clarification...
Knoppix has gotten me back into Linux after a bit of a hiatus (wife, kids, job, etc.). Pretty easy install compared to the last time I did this and KDE is real impressive (I imagine Gnome would be just as good) as compared to the WM I used to use (FVWM2).
I've since installed the nVidia modules and got them working. Then downloaded and installed some appropriate "test" software (Quake III, Unreal Tournament). Works quite well.
Now, I'm trying to get my scanner and webcam to work. Modules for both need to be compiled against the kernel and it appears that I do not have the kernel source with the distribution. It also appears that the Knoppix kernel has a couple of minor mods (XFS patch and longer boot parameter line). So, it looks like I either need the kernel source from Knoppix or I should consider rolling back to a "pristine" Debian kernel (I'm using Reiser, so I don't really need the XFS patch).
Assuming I stay at the same release (2.4.20 I think), will I be able to build all my modules back in at compile time (such as nVidia)? or will I need to re-install all of them again? Also, anybody used the kernel configurator in KDE?, is it any good?
It's been a few years since I've done a kernel rebuild so I'm a bit rusty. However, I see that Debian appears to have some methods to streamline the process.
Similar Threads
-
By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 03:19 AM
-
By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-26-2004, 05:22 AM
-
By eSCHEn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:07 AM
-
By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-07-2003, 05:50 PM
-
By pooh_ in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205
$317.56

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI Barebone CTO GPU Server 2x Heatsinks 2x 1600W PSU
$319.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00

USB 2.0 Network Print Server LAN Print Share Server USB Wireless Print Server
$25.19