Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Using two different mice (one USB and one PS/2)...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27

    Using two different mice (one USB and one PS/2)...

    Simply put, my main mouse is a Logitech dual-optical USB mouse that works just fine in my HD install of Knoppix. However, what inspired me to install Knoppix/Debian in the first place what the ability to get gcompris and other educational games for my 2 1/2 year old son.

    I just picked up a PS/2 mouse today that is designed for smaller hands. An ideal solution would be to pop that on the PS/2 port and have it be the default mouse that is active when I log into his account.

    Failing that, having both mice available works too.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Joe

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Never tried to make a certain mouse set as default before but you can definitely have both mice connected and they will both work. You don't need to deactivate or unplug one or the other just use whichever one you like. I have a Logitech cordless USB abd a ps2 connected to this machine right now in fact. On and BTW- this wouldn't be possible on any other distro AFAIK unless you modified /etc/XF86Config-4 to look like the one that Knoppix creates with entries for both USB and ps2 mice. In fact, I use Knoppix to generate all of my XF86Config files for all distros becasue it does the most awesome job of it.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --I love Knoppix's ability to do most things well, but SuSE's Livecd 8.2 generated the best XFree config file. (I couldn't do vmware fullscreen with best res until migrating suse's sax2-generated config file.)

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Never tried to make a certain mouse set as default before but you can definitely have both mice connected and they will both work. You don't need to deactivate or unplug one or the other just use whichever one you like. I have a Logitech cordless USB abd a ps2 connected to this machine right now in fact. On and BTW- this wouldn't be possible on any other distro AFAIK unless you modified /etc/XF86Config-4 to look like the one that Knoppix creates with entries for both USB and ps2 mice. In fact, I use Knoppix to generate all of my XF86Config files for all distros becasue it does the most awesome job of it.

    HTH

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --I love Knoppix's ability to do most things well, but SuSE's Livecd 8.2 generated the best XFree config file. (I couldn't do vmware fullscreen with best res until migrating suse's sax2-generated config file.)
    I couldn't get the SuSE disc to finish booting on either of my machines. That was a real disappointment too- I've heard lots of good things about it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Never tried to make a certain mouse set as default before but you can definitely have both mice connected and they will both work. You don't need to deactivate or unplug one or the other just use whichever one you like. I have a Logitech cordless USB abd a ps2 connected to this machine right now in fact. On and BTW- this wouldn't be possible on any other distro AFAIK unless you modified /etc/XF86Config-4 to look like the one that Knoppix creates with entries for both USB and ps2 mice. In fact, I use Knoppix to generate all of my XF86Config files for all distros becasue it does the most awesome job of it.

    HTH
    No luck so far, even using tried the Knoppix boot CD and seeing if I could make it work on my WindowsME installation. Might either be a bad mouse or bad PS/2 port, still troubleshooting....

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by joekm

    No luck so far, even using tried the Knoppix boot CD and seeing if I could make it work on my WindowsME installation. Might either be a bad mouse or bad PS/2 port, still troubleshooting....

    Well, turns out it was the PS/2 port. However, it wasn't bad, I was just shut-off in the BIOS. Everything works OK now.

Similar Threads

  1. XF86Config-4 for using 2 mice on laptop
    By rickenbacherus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 10:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



MAG X870 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard, ATX - Supports AMD Ryzen 9000 / 8000 / MSI picture

MAG X870 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard, ATX - Supports AMD Ryzen 9000 / 8000 / MSI

$143.50



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00