Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help for a Linux newbie

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ThePatrioticDickhead
    Guest

    Help for a Linux newbie

    I've recently decided to play around and (hopefully) learn Linux. I started by downloading and burning a copy of Knoppix, and what I've seen so far with it looks interesting.

    My "problem" is this...

    Under WindowsXP, I run a IRC chat server (ConferenceRoom) for me and a few friends. I'd like to continue to run this/a server while I'm booted up and exploring Linux, but the one I use in Windows doesn't like to play friendly in WINE (got a weird error message when I tried). I managed to get mIRC running with it no problem though, so I think I have WINE set up correctly. What I'm looking for is a simple server program that all I have to do is unzip a file to a directory and/or run an .exe (or whatever the Linux equivalent might be) for it to work, without any hassle of an install. Knoppix appears to have a number of options set as read-only, which I discovered when I tried installing the Linux version of ConferenceRoom and got an error message saying something like I didn't have write access. This is no doubt due to the configuration of the files on the CD.

    Being extremely new to Linux (a grand total of about 15 minutes worth of experience as of last night), I'm not in any hurry at all to attempt an install and possible FUBAR my (extremely well working) WinXP installation anytime soon. Is such a simple IRC server available, or will I have to actually install Linux to the HD to be able to do what I want here?

  2. #2
    Guest
    Maybe a less offensive user name would get you some more responses. Yes Knoppix does support IRC servers although I don't think it's on the CD. It's called ircd. Here is a link http://coder-com.undernet.org/. I'm sure you can remaster and add it.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix - Linux newbie 101 Questions
    By Yojimbo in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 10:33 PM
  2. linux newbie
    By dugtrio85 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
  3. Linux Newbie
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
  4. Linux Newbie Getting Close But Not Quite There
    By bighdaddy1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 02:40 AM
  5. Linux Newbie needs help!!!
    By ihatemyusername in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2003, 09:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box picture

Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box

$100.00



Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim picture

Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim

$125.00



Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994 picture

Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994

$119.99



ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts picture

ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts

$44.89



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards

$57.59