-
lol
i think knoppix cd is not so good as the win cd to repair the NT os
as we can't write on a ntfs fs partition, what would do ?
nt cd boot has a console to mess what you want on the disc
about security :
my webserver (mandrake 8.1) was hacked 2X , the guy has just change the root pass
lol
when i'll get some free time, i'll try knoppix-std
-
Senior Member
registered user
There are knoppix customised cds that have captive NTFS, allowing read, write. Bit Defender is one that comes to mind. I have recently downloaded it but havent tried it yet(!).
johnb
-
Junior Member
registered user
Dont you just love these intermate descussions. lol. Brings the world together. How we could hack each other.... hmmm... it's just like being in a Microsoft forum (well it would be if they had any) ..............
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix CD as a rescue tool.

Originally Posted by
dmedici
How truly secure is a password-protected BIOS? I wouldn't expect to see 99 out of 100 computers outside of a corporate environment secured with a password-protected BIOS, and from what I've seen in some of the corporations, I don't think there are too many there either. So does LINUX have a way to beat the BIOS password? Because now that I have my passwords set in BIOS, what else do I have to do to prevent that from being penetrated?
if your pc is already booted, i just have to flash de mobo before rebooting with knoppix.
i can reset de bios directly on the mobo too.
like it was already said, to be secure, a box has to be physically inacessible.
-
Senior Member
registered user
For those genuanly interested in making your linux computer secure ( because by default it's not very secure in terms of local access ) check out the Securing Debian HowTo
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/se.../index.en.html
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cuddles
M$ requires more and more things to protect its ever fragile OS's - Firewalls, Virus Protection, Security Patches, etc... Heck, I just found out that you can get a Firewall for Linux. As for the Virus programs, do they ACTUALLY "make" a virus program for Linux?
Well talking about patches: You may get patches for linux (kernel, apache, ssh, ...) every few days or weeks, and lots of them are security-patches.
I don't know, whether there are big security differences from the system-design.
But you have to consider some facts, when comparing the systems:
Most crackers use windows, at least as target-platform.
Most windows-users aren't experienced in OS, Security or Programming issues.
Most linux users are.
The MS-practice, to prefer usabilty over security (executable email-attachments, word-makros, outlook-monoculture) lead to their success in the endconsumer market.
If I get an attachment in my mail-client, I may double-click on it too. Normally a box pops up, asking what to do with a 'my_sister_under_shower.jpg.pif'. I'm not sure what it would do with 'my_sister...rpm - .deb -.sh' -files, but it surely could be configured to execute them.
OpenOffice has a macro-language too - I didn't look what you might do with it, but if it is strong, it may cause damage.
One big security reason of linux is, that there are so many different mail-clients, office-products, and in the average better informed users. I never received an linux virus by email, and it is unusual to change binaries on linux.
If linux would be more common, more linux-viruses would be build, and their chances of being spread will increase. I guess the more teachers praise linux to their pupils, the more viruses will evolve, and I guess we don't have to wait long for the first linux-viruses in the wild.
Well - you ask: 'do they actually make a virus?' who 'they'?
After reading a book on linux-security, in which I was told, that viruses are nearly impossible on linux, I tried to build one on my own, and it worked.
But I didn't put it in the wild of course
-
This is a grat hacking tool
User Unknown,
Most sensible post about Linux security that I have read lately. As soon as Linux becomes very popular, there will be many patches and issues.
-
Junior Member
registered user
If you want data to be secure... keep it in your head...
'nuff said
-
Senior Member
registered user
computers are never 100% secure, just more or less hard to get into and acess info.
some require physical access, some might be accesed over network...
best one can hope for i that it is hard enough to enter that it is not worth /time/trouble/expenses...
if time/trouble/expenses are not an issue... not much is "secure".
even keeping things in your head is not secure, not many can whitstand interrogation if no rules apply.
just look to iraq, and that was not worst case...
otoh information gained under such circumstances is never 100% but...
-
There have been Linux distros around for ages that fit on a single floppy and hack the administrator password on a win2000-XP system for you.
Similar Threads
-
By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-25-2004, 11:12 PM
-
By illcuban in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 10:29 PM
-
By reecegeorge in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-30-2003, 10:50 PM
-
By lackluster in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 11:07 PM
-
By ozfrog in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

HP ProLiant 460 Series G7 Blade 2x Xeon E5649 2.53Ghz w/ 16Gb DR3, No HD, QTY
$74.99