Ahh, I can see the first one being a possibility, but the breaking of porgrams during updates is just Debian Unstables way. The nature of the beast.Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
I think pureone was trying to say that he wants a Knoppix that installs and networking and other things that worked from the CD still work. Maybe even one where upgrading after an install will not break lots of things.Originally Posted by firebyrd10
Ahh, I can see the first one being a possibility, but the breaking of porgrams during updates is just Debian Unstables way. The nature of the beast.Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
i ment i look forward to the day you can download a version of knoppix thats only ment to be installed. like suse, redhat , debian, etc etc. i heard that the only reason why they made it installable is because people liked it so much is that right?
Right, knoppix was never ment to be installed, it just happened.Originally Posted by pureone
... and many of us are grateful it did. Why do I have to go through 3 or more CDs and several complicated configuration options to get a basic OS and tools that get the job done? Basic job = web use, email, chat, IM (multiple accounts/protocols), graphic manupulation (beyond basic), multimedia (including CD ripping and burning), digital cameras support, office documents and a few good games.Originally Posted by firebyrd10
My last attempt with a commercial distribution was SuSE 9x. You had to be a *nix guru if you wanted everything to run properly.
With Knoppix, you can get up and running in 1 hour, 2 if you a HD install. This includes networking, shared printers and HD in a Windows network.
--GN
The debian netinstaller is like that, only you need a high speed connection cause it downloads every.Originally Posted by gnarvaja
But very easy nontheless.
Originally Posted by sieben
G'day I did the same here at government IT HQ!!! They at first said I was full of BS "that can't be done".
Needless to say I had them say that in front of the boss and then proceded to easly get on to the network.
I wish now I had not done that as one guy was "Replaced" but maybe for the better if his job is protecting my personal (government) files he should not be so cocky!
No way to protect the files from being accessed. They can be encrypted though to prevent usage.
Originally Posted by firebyrd10
What??? Better check again there as there are many ways of preventing access and encryption can be broken.
Cheer's Glen Government IT Security
any way you can think of can be cracked/bypassed...
Atleast this is true as long as YOU can acess the files. the only real difference is how much effort has to go into the retrieval.

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper NS-ISG-GB4 : Juniper ISG GB4 4-Port
$99.29
Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99