-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ph349397
But why do I need 5 partitions? Why can't I just partition it like so:
/dev/hda1 primary NTFS wnixp 5G
/dev/hda2 primary linux swap 500MB
/dev/hda3 primary linux 3G
/dev/hda4 logical linux 4G
I guess I'm still not understanding the function of the "extended" partition. Would it be just another drive that I could store stuff on, and you described it as "extended" because the size of it would simply depend on how much space is left after the other partitions are defined?
Actually the extended partition doesn't hold anything except logical drives. In my example I list 5 partitions but there are only 4 that are actually available for use. You can't really do anything with #4. Besides- what about when you want to use the rest of the disc? Where are those partitions that you create going to go? Into partition #4 the extended partition.
-
well, i'm only planning on installing knoppix and that's it, so I don't have to worry about having an extended partition. Despite that, I'm confused as to why in your example you would designate the extended partition as /dev/hda4? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the extended partition be the last partition? What I'm saying is, instead of
/dev/hda1 primary NTFS wnixp 5G
/dev/hda2 primary linux swap 500MB
/dev/hda3 primary linux 3G
/dev/hda4 extended
/dev/hda5 logical linux 4G
wouldn't it make more sense to do it like this:
/dev/hda1 primary NTFS wnixp 5G
/dev/hda2 primary linux swap 500MB
/dev/hda3 primary linux 3G
/dev/hda4 logical linux 4G
/dev/hda5 extended
-
Senior Member
registered user
That's not how it works. The extended partition is ALWAYS number 4. Even if you only made 2 primary partitions and an extended partition the extended partition would still be number four. You have to put logical drives inside of the extended partition. All you need to do is make some partitions- you'll see it isn't that hard.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I would suggest a FAT primary partition(C:\) of 2-5G. This can be very useful for passing back and forth data. FAT is the format almost all OS can understand. Beside, it is easier to find a copy of bootable DOS(!) which can be used to fix things stored on FAT like the BOOT.INI, or GRUB's menu.lst etc.
Similar Threads
-
By Anna in forum The Lounge
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 11:09 AM
-
By stokesg in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
-
By Pater in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 06:25 PM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 02:31 AM
-
By monkymind in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 04:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

HP Z640 Xeon E5-2643 v3, 64GB RAM, 512GB NVMe, 2TB HDD, GTX 1050 Ti, Win 11 Pro
$435.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$12.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00