Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: howto add users after hd install by copy from cdrom

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    25

    howto add users after hd install by copy from cdrom

    I installed knoppix 3.2 (2003-06-06 EN) onto a free partition of my hard disk by following the FAQ instructions:

    * run knoppix from the cdrom
    * mount the partition
    * copy the directory tree
    * fix fstab and lilo (in my case, grub)
    * create a user directory "knoppix"

    It works, GREAT! Now I would like to create a couple more users, with passwords, and have root have a password too, with a normal login procedure at start up. Could someone please explain (at newbie level) how to do this?

    I did manage to make knoppix into a nopasswd sudoer so I can log in to a terminal as root and from there do anything I like, of course. [I edited the /etc/sudoers file, having mounted my knoppix partition from another OS]

    Or should I start all over, running knx-hdinstall? (which I didn't know existed till too late)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'd be inclined to start over. It'll only take an hour or so at the most and it'll be much less hastle.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    25
    YES! just less than one hour, you were right. THANKS!

    Perhaps KK should add a mention of knx-hdinstall in the FAQ on the cdrom.

    I only met one difficulty with knx-hdinstall - the passwords I typed for root and knoppix were accepted but when I started up for real, they were not recognised! The menu interface to knx-hdinstall is a bit sticky... Fortunately by now I have learnt how to use the cdrom as rescue disk:

    sudo su - to become root
    mount the knoppix hd partition
    chroot to the mount point

    and then use "passwd" to fix passwords of root and knoppix

Similar Threads

  1. Keeping users across fresh install
    By dtz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 05:25 PM
  2. HD install giving up during file copy
    By nosirrah in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
  3. Noob requires help with file permissions after CDRom copy
    By JPWhite in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:48 AM
  4. KNOPPIX CD Default Install May Let Local Users Grab Root
    By adamm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 10:17 PM
  5. CD Copy to HD 'install' Questions
    By sepht in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98