Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lilo errors.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4

    Lilo errors.

    Ooook. This is hard to explain. I had Red Hat 9 and Windows ME dual booting from GRUB. So I formatted all the Linux partitions from Windows (Partition Magic) and then booted to my CD and did a kpx-hdinstall

    So when it was 'copying files' it had sooooo many errors, Input/Output errors....I don't know if that has to do with anything

    Soooo....it eventually finished and I chose to install Lilo. It finishes up and I reboot...and I get an error.

    Lilo- Keytable read/checksum error.

    And then if just hangs there. Can someone please help me out? Danke.

    EDIT: Knoppix's nice autmatic partition mounter shows the files are there in the partition, I just need to get the boot loader to work

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Here is a post about reinstalling LILO by booting with the Knoppix cd.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Here is a post about reinstalling LILO by booting with the Knoppix cd.
    Thanks, but I tried it and *apparently* it will not work. I get the same error upon reboot. After I execute the last command I get....
    root@Knoppix:/# sudo /sbin/lilo
    sudo: unable to lookup Knoppix via gethostbyname()
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Added Linux *
    Skipping /vmlinuz.old
    Added Windows(hda1)
    root@Knoppix:/#
    Hmmmm, does that mean that it did not work correctly?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Lilo errors.

    Quote Originally Posted by hairston4
    ) and then booted to my CD and did a kpx-hdinstall

    So when it was 'copying files' it had sooooo many errors, Input/Output errors....I don't know if that has to do with anything

    Soooo....it eventually finished and I chose to install Lilo. It finishes up and I reboot...and I get an error.

    Lilo- Keytable read/checksum error.
    Since you had so many errors on install you might have a bad cd. Just because it boots doesn't necessarily mean anything. Boot it like so:

    boot: knoppix testcd and see what it tells you. Also- check the md5sum of the .iso you downloaded and verify it against the one on the download mirror. If both the cd check out as ok and the md5 is correct then I would try some different media.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by hairston4
    root@Knoppix:/# sudo /sbin/lilo
    sudo: unable to lookup Knoppix via gethostbyname()
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Added Linux *
    Skipping /vmlinuz.old
    Added Windows(hda1)
    root@Knoppix:/#
    Hmmmm, does that mean that it did not work correctly?
    That did install LILO but as rickenbacherus said with all the errors during install you most likely have a bad CD.

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. Many Errors at .xsession-errors file ...
    By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
  3. Lilo Errors w/ Knoppix 3.4
    By rhpot1991 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 04:18 AM
  4. Apt-get errors?
    By massai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 06:56 PM
  5. KDE errors
    By Gecko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$155.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different picture

Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different

$29.99



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage

$99.00