-
How does filesharing work?I
I am trying so set up a LAN with all Linux-boxes. Mounting a Windows-share works like a breeze, but with the devotion of a newly convert I like to keep it all Linux. Here is the setup so far: two machines, both running knoppix, network is up, both machines can ping each other, I have an account on both machines.
On box_1:
- "enable users to share folders from there home directory" is enabled.
- Start Konqueror.
- In my home-directory I right-click a folder, select "properies" and in the tab sharing I enable sharing. Then I click OK.
- I right-click again, and sharing is still _disabled_ (and yes it is the same folder).
- Several repeats with the same result; clicking "cancel" doesn't work either.
So, this option has an attitude or I am doing something wrong?.
But, on box_2:
- Start Konqueror.
- Type "lan:/192.168.0.1" <enter>
- The location-bar changes to "lan://localhost/192.168.0.1 and I see two folders: "FISH" and "SMB".
- Clicking "SMB" produces an error.
- Clicking "FISH" prompts my for my name and password.
- The location-bar changes to "FISH://192.168.0.1/home/edwin
And then I get to see my entire home-directory on box_1, hidden files and dirs included. In fact I can see every directory on that machine, and it seems that I have all the permissions of my account on that box.
Is this the way it is supposed to work? I must be missing something here, but what I want is for every user on the LAN to have only one folder to show on box_1. They can can put their files there and daddy will take care of the backup, just because no one else will :=(
Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
- - Edwin
Similar Threads
-
By RedCharlie in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-28-2005, 12:32 AM
-
By Mokoshi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00