Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix Kernel Size

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Kernel Size

    I found something strange. My Knoppix 3.2's /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs is 925720 bytes. However, when I compile a plain 2.4.20 with Knoppix' /usr/src/linux/.config, I can't get an image smaller than 2645504 bytes. Thats using a make oldconfig (selecting no to the 2 new options), make clean, make bzImage with gcc-2.95 on a system that was distupgraded a few days ago.

    I would love to know how Knoppix gets all its stuff in such a small kernel since lilo always complains that mine are too big.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7
    uh - maybe this is a simple question. I just dont know the answer. If you think it's a good question you can maybe ask here

    http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix

    Klaus Knopper seems to answer questions here himself. Or if it is actually an unmodified debian-kernel (and it is, isn't it?) maybe another debian-list is relevant...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    17
    I just recently compiled a vanilla 2.4.20 Kernel with an XFS Patch using the configuration provided by Klaus and I was very close to the same file size of the origanol vmlinuz file. Though, heres the procedure I did/

    Assuming your vanilla kernel is in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 and you are currently in that directory

    cp ../linux-2.4.20-xfs/.config ./
    make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
    cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.20
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20

    and then you can do what ever you want with the new vmlinuz file. For me, ended up being about 20k more, so you should get similar results with that procedure.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Knoppix Kernel Size

    --This is the part you need to pay attention to:
    ' cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 '

    --Somehow I think you're trying to copy the /usr/src/linux/vmlinux file instead...

    Quote Originally Posted by skyshadow
    I found something strange. My Knoppix 3.2's /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs is 925720 bytes. However, when I compile a plain 2.4.20 with Knoppix' /usr/src/linux/.config, I can't get an image smaller than 2645504 bytes. Thats using a make oldconfig (selecting no to the 2 new options), make clean, make bzImage with gcc-2.95 on a system that was distupgraded a few days ago.

    I would love to know how Knoppix gets all its stuff in such a small kernel since lilo always complains that mine are too big.

Similar Threads

  1. cd size for knoppix bootable
    By simong in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 12:51 PM
  2. Change screen size in knoppix
    By SomeProgr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 07:24 PM
  3. Knoppix file size
    By blahman420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM
  4. Ramdisk (re)size/adjust size
    By hnt in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 09:36 AM
  5. The size of the game's in knoppix
    By yohanman in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Coach Vintage BlackNylon Leather Messenger Crossbody Laptop Bag Style 5115 picture

Coach Vintage BlackNylon Leather Messenger Crossbody Laptop Bag Style 5115

$90.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Logitech P7-3F 3 Button PS2 Ball Mouse picture

Vintage Logitech P7-3F 3 Button PS2 Ball Mouse

$49.99



Vintage COMPAQ MV720 Color Monitor User's Guide Computer Hardware Setup Manual picture

Vintage COMPAQ MV720 Color Monitor User's Guide Computer Hardware Setup Manual

$12.95



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99