Hi,
I'm posting this topic in the general forum although its something that happened to me during customization/remastering, because the problem no longer seems related to remastering but directly to KDE. Its a really frustratingproblem and I hope someone with KDE knowledge could shed some light on it.
![]()
After my latest remastering, the default knoppix kde setup disappeared. I get the knoppix wallpaper and the knoppix splash window, but during initialization, in the "loading panel" phase, the root window goes picture-less, and the icons and toolbar seem to be the default KDE ones instead of the knoppix ones. Its as if the knoppix user has no .kde (although it does - the one form /etc/skel).
So far, you'd think "sure, you changed something in /etc/skel or /usr/share/knoppix/profile!" Well, I haven't. The customization just added some programs which are not KDE-related in any way.
In fact, I hashed all the files in the system, once during a session with the version working properly and once with the version which has broken kde environment. I diff the two lists to see which files changed. Strangely, no kde files changed in /KNOPPIX. In fact, nothing but the files I added seem to be different, and these files have nothing to do with KDE.
/KNOPPIX/etc/skel remains identical, and yet, once KDE is initialized, /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde suddenly contains a lot of new files, apparently created by KDE during initialization. The whole environment seems to reset to default during the part where KDE says "loading panel".
I don't understand where it gets this different panel since the files are the same. Anyone knows where the "loading panel" phase takes files from ? Isn't it the ~knoppix/.kde which came from /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/.kde ?!
![]()

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99
Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor
$269.99
HP xw8600 2x Intel Xeon 300 GHz 64GB ram 500GB Samsung SSD 4GB Video car G2U
$135.00
HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00