Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix does not find it's KNOPPIX image

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix does not find it's KNOPPIX image

    I installed Knoppix on my harddisk this way:

    /dev/hda3 (ext2) holds the contents of the CD (incl. KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image)

    /dev/hda4 (ext2) is my new home directory (home=/dev/hda4 Parameter given, works fine!)

    I am booting through my vfat partition /dev/hda1 with a simple windows 98 using LoadLin.

    I copied all contents of boot.img to c:\linux, included the loadlin EXE and tried to start it:
    C:\LINUX\LOADLIN.EXE vmlinuz initrd=miniroot.gz lang=de keyboard=de xkeyboard=de noeject home=/dev/hda4

    All I get is a mini-shell, because it cannot find the KNOPPIX image.

    When the Knoppix CD is in the drive, Knoppix boots up fine. No problems!

    Any ideas, what I can do? Or what I have done the wrong way?

    It would be nice, if you could give some hints to me.

    Thank you very much!

    With kind regards,

    Konrad

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Everyone seems to be doing it the hard way today! You really should use the knx-hdinstall script.

    one HOWTO here

    http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

    another here

    http://articles.linmagau.org/modules...tid=181&page=1

    If you get stuck, come back.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10
    Hi fingers99,

    thank you for your quick answer.

    I know, that Knoppix could be installed fully onto a system. I have done that multiple times in the past. But as you know, this needs much Diskspace (about 3 GB).

    If I had 3 GB spare Harddisk, everything would be fine that way. But I do not have that much space left.

    So it would be nice to simply use the compressed image. That should be possible. In the docs part of knoppix.net is a HdBasedHowTo, that tells me, that it should be possible:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo

    In this document, different ways are mentioned to do it this way. But all I can found with my problem is:
    "As it boots the KNOPPIX directory should be discovered and booted into a full fledged Knoppix system as though running from CD" - Fine. It doesn't work for me.

    Now I will try the point 1.4: Putting Knoppix inside the VFAT partition of windows. Maybe knoppix discovers it and boots from it.

    With kind regards,

    Konrad

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by neitzel
    Now I will try the point 1.4: Putting Knoppix inside the VFAT partition of windows. Maybe knoppix discovers it and boots from it.
    That way works fine. It would be nice to know, why the usage of a ext2 filesystem with all contents of the CD didn't work

    But this solves my problem. I will delete the ext2 partition and resize the Windows Partition again.

    Thank you for all help!

    Konrad

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    It would be nice to know, why the usage of a ext2 filesystem with all contents of the CD didn't work
    Can't say for sure, but my guess would be that an ext2 or ext3 partition is interpreted as having permissions. Anyone know?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by neitzel
    Hi fingers99,

    So it would be nice to simply use the compressed image. That should be possible. In the docs part of knoppix.net is a HdBasedHowTo, that tells me, that it should be possible:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo
    I followed the steps in 1.4 of the above howto but had the same problem as Neitzel. The main differences are (1) I am not an experienced user and want to try this out before I take the plunge and (2) I copied the KNOPPIX file to an NTFS partition.

    Here is a wag at what may be wrong - could the bootfloppy not contain the correct lilo.conf or fstab?

    Any help is appreciated. I hate it when I can't get something to work

    Thanks,
    Gail

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10
    Hi everybody!

    fingers99: Hmm ... I cannot check it again, because I no longer have an ext2 partition to test it. (Now everything I have is a large vfat and a small ext2 for home ...

    socalgail: It works fine for vfat filesystems. (That is the way it works for me in the moment)
    I cannot tell you, why it didn't work for ntfs, too. Until now I didn't look into the code, but I expect a mount for each available partition. Maybe the autodetect of the filesystem type isn't working correctly? (I got some problems with this in the past e.g. mount with -t works fine, but without giving the type (and with a "auto" in fstab), linux is unable to mount the filesystem ...

    I am sorry, that I cannot give you any hint how to solve your problem.

    With kind regards,

    Konrad

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    23
    Hi Konrad,

    Thanks for the information. What I plan to do is to format some unformatted space on a hard drive as FAT32 and go from there. The impression I have from reading what google found for [knoppix ntfs] is that Knoppix wants to write something in /home and if this is on an NTFS partition, instead of the ramdisk?, it fails. Knoppix doesn't have NTFS write support. This must clearly be a size issue. This is a project for next week-end though! I will post results here.

    Gail

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find kernel image: linux
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 12:01 AM
  2. Can't find kernel image - Newbie needs help
    By ozone in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 03:15 PM
  3. could not find kernel image: linux
    By aykuty in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:16 AM
  4. Boot floppy fails to find KNOPPIX image on FAT32
    By vitoprimo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01