View Poll Results: My main use of my KNOPPIX CD is:
- Voters
- 19. You may not vote on this poll
-
Programming
-
Surfing
-
Gaming
-
Multimedia
-
Desktop Publishing
-
Other
-
Senior Member
registered user
Seriously Miffed @ KDE!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
OK, I am REALLY miffed!
I've been using KNOPPIX since V2.2 Final. I've never had a problem like this thru V3.1. I have this problem with every release of V3.2 I've tried (the first one in Jan, the first one in May and 20030606).
I teach C++ and Java to preAP and AP Computer Science students in a High School setting. I've got them pretty comfortable with Linux in general and KNOPPIX in particular as well as using /mnt/floppy to save/load their files. They typically use Konqueror to download assignments from my website, KATE to edit/save/print their code and Konsole to compile and execute. I don't get into EMACS or VI or MAKE or any fancy IDEs. This worked great for us thru V3.1 (we used V3.1 20030101 all last semester without a hitch as a poor man's dual boot).
OK, here's the problem. Ever since V3.2 everything works great except printing files from KATE. Now I don't know if its KATE or the KNOPPIX Printer Configuration for CUPS, but the whole system freezes-up when I print from KATE. I get a message that kate is preparing to print page 1, then NOTHING happens! This happens no mater what printer I use (local, tcp/ip, laser or deskjet). The same configuration works fine in pre V3.2 for all these printers (BTW, I only have HP)!
I am REALLY frustrated with this. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, could you PLEASE suggest a solution?
Now, you might say, "why not stick to V3.1 20030101 if its so great?" Well, that is an option. But I was trying to get the latest KNOPPIX I could get to start next term so my kids could use the latest GCC GCJ libraries as they keep getting updated (GCJ/JIG still doesn't have AWT or SWING quite right). I don't know about Balckdown Java....
Another alternative, I suppose, is to have the students still boot to a poor man's dual boot and then have them log-in to a server on the LAN that I have knx-hdinstalled with a full download of Sun's Java SDK 1.4.1.... How do i set-up a thin-client for this?
TIA,
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver
$299.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204
$24.97