Just a thought,

cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
If a child exits with a status other then 1 or 0 it usually means something has been going wrong. Could it be that cuspd is a little upset because of that? I ask this because in your second message you said that you could print from kWrite. In a later message you said you couldn't. Maybe because a earlier printjob from Kate has messed things up?

Easy to find out. Reboot. Open a shell. Run the 'cupsd' command. What does it say? Print from kWrite. Is this succesfull?. Run the 'cupsd' command again. What does it say this time? Print from Kate. This will probally fail. See what cupsd has to say. Print from kWrite. What happens? What does cupsd say?

I know it does not help you much directly, but it might help you to find out where the problem is: with cupsd or Kate.

The last would be a pity, I am rather fond of her myself.

Would downgrading Kate be an option?

Success!

- - Edwin