View Poll Results: My main use of my KNOPPIX CD is:
- Voters
- 19. You may not vote on this poll
-
Programming
-
Surfing
-
Gaming
-
Multimedia
-
Desktop Publishing
-
Other
-

Originally Posted by
j.drake
I'm not familiar enough with the OS to snag an error log. Tell me how, and I'll try to post one this weekend, if you and the others would be kind enough to help.
The error log is /var/log/cups/error_log. Assuming you are running from the CD: Reboot, start cups then open this file in an editor, say Kate. The log will be empty. Turning on line-numbering can be helpfull. Now go through the motions of setting up your Epson. Go as far as the system will let you. Have a look at the log again. Kate will inform you the file has changed, do you want to reload. Click yes and see what is in the log.
If you are not booting from CD, or the log is not empty for some reason, just remember the last line-number and post the messages after that.

Originally Posted by
j.drake
I have 2 printers, and Epson Stylus C40UX color inkjet, which someone (I think Stephen, IIRC) pointed out is supposed to work perfectly; the other is a Brother laser all-in-one (MFC-6800).
Stephen is right. I just set one up on my system. Worked with both drivers. I can even use it to print (colors and all) on my Epson Stylus C580. As for the Brother, I don't see that model in the wizard's list, but you could try another MFC model.
And you shouldn't need root privileges to set up printers; I do it as user all the time. To start cups you do however.

Originally Posted by
j.drake
As for the driver, I thought CUPS was supposed to do that, so I haven't the vaguest.
Yes, but you must select a driver. In the wizard, right after you select your make and model there is a page where you can select a driver. Select the 'cups+gimp' one for your Epson.
And oh, as you get your first error when printing a testpage, skip that step the first time. If that doesn't work, restart cups and try again, this time with testpage.
Success,
- - Edwin
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade
$15.95

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00