View Poll Results: My main use of my KNOPPIX CD is:
- Voters
- 19. You may not vote on this poll
-
Programming
-
Surfing
-
Gaming
-
Multimedia
-
Desktop Publishing
-
Other
-
From our last exciting episode:

Originally Posted by
paradocs
Kate prints just fine -- probably using lp as Edwin points out --
when printing simple black text. But when you ask for a color
syntax printout, Kate locks up and nothing happens. I expect
that an image file is made and then the program to print
out the postscript file is missing or faulty.
And

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
OK, so its something to do with processing color text.
Now I hate to be a spoilsport, but I tested with a file named "test.php". When opened in Kate she syntax-colored it very nice. When printed from Kate it came out of the printer just as on the screen _INCLUDING ALL THE COLORS_. No freeze or lock-up. And that on 5 different systems. Hmmm....what is happening here?
But anyway, I did some reading on cups. Then I did some more printing. All from Kate, all to an Epson 580 color, all from the same cpu. I made 2 files, 'test.php' and 'test.txt'. 'test.php' syntax-colors in Kate, 'test.txt' does not. I printed both from Kate. This is from the error_log (Time-stamps removed for better readabillity):
Job 11 queued on 'epson' by 'edwin'.
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1000) for job 11.
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 1001) for job 11.
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprinter (PID 1002) for job 11.
Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 1003) for job 11.
The output was the same for both files (except for the PID's and job-numbers).
Then I printed the files using the 'lp' command. This showed up in the logs:
Job 13 queued on 'epson' by 'edwin'.
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 1012) for job 13.
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1013) for job 13.
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 1014) for job 13.
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprinter (PID 1015) for job 13.
Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 1016) for job 13.
From my reading I understand this to be the way cups works. But interesting is that the job is queued first, the filters are applied after that. And that Kate presents a PostScript file to cups, color-coded or not.
I am stabbing in the dark here, but maybe Kate makes a mistake when generating a PS-file with color-information. She sends the file to cups, waiting for the digital equivalent of a 'Thumbs-Up' from cups. Cups chokes on the file, not sending the 'Thumbs-Up'. So Kate just sits there. This 'thinking-aloud-stab' does not address the question why this only happens on your side of the ocean ;=)
Could you post your error_log entries after a failed print attempt? I wonder how far cups gets.

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I find the root cause of all this very baffling. I don't see a pattern to these errors.
The only pattern I see is that, as far as I can see, you created your test.ps and test.pdf from VIM; any printing of them causes black text to disappear. The error is in the printer-driver that created them. But I might have overlooked something in your post. Did you try to print these files from Windows?
Apart from that, it could be a diabolical plot from the combined printer-producers to bump up their sales in ink or toner.... Ah well, I should turn in for the night. I think I'll do just that.

Originally Posted by
paradocs
Dumb, old serial printers could not make pretty fonts and
picture
Yeah, and a lot of people created ascii-art to compensate. Manager-types thought it looked like working, so they left you to it. Beats the Internet as a time-waster ;=)

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
EDIT: OOPS, sorry, I forgot about ps -A -F.
Hey, thats what I have been looking for! Thank you!.
Regards,
- - Edwin
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES
$85.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM System x3850 X5 (7145AC1) Server w/ 2x Xeon X760, 32GB +Storage, 2x PSU
$299.99