Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: newbie: Where is window manager started, and how to change?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2

    newbie: Where is window manager started, and how to change?

    Hi there,

    I have successfully installed knoppix to hdd. But now I want to create a user that is logged in automatically, but doesn't use any window manager.

    How can I do this?

    I have a mini-itx that should run without keyboard and mouse. So where can I find the login-sripts, that starts the kde or checks for the keyboard?

    And another question: where is a good place to start processes that have to be started while booting? (I need to start lirc)

    Thanks, Heiko

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    17
    Not sure if this all that you are looking for, but take a look at the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and xsession scripts. It is well documented as to what each section does

    In there Keyboard is configured, and there will be part of a line that says something like DESKTOP="KDE". If you want nothing to load as a window manger, then do DESKTOP="". If you don't want the XServer to start period, then change the init version from 5 to 4 or 3. I forget which one is the correct number. Hope this helps ya out!!!

    Mark

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Pardon me, but I don't find anyplace in /etc/rc5.d where /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig is run...

    --Anyhow, /etc/inittab gets run first. Then it runs /etc/init.d/rcS, which runs the S99* links in whatever the default runlevel is (/etc/rc5.d for knoppix.)

    --I haven't tried this myself, but there is an entry in inittab that looks like this:
    ' 5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5 '

    --Now instead of running /sbin/getty, you might try running something like this:

    Code:
    9:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/open -c 9 -w -- /usr/bin/top -s                        
    12:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/open -c 12 -w -- su -c "tail /var/log/messages -f --lines 50
    --See ' man open ' for more details. You might try ' 8:5:respawn:/usr/bin/open -c 8 -w -s -l -- su USERNAME ' to start the user up on console 8 and switch to it. (BTW I just tested this in vmware, and it works.)

    --AFA starting a different windowmanager than KDE, I'd like to know myself. I just boot without kdm or any graphical interface, and use xinit.

    alias sf='xinit /usr/bin/sawfish & ~/.xinitrc & '

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRacerz
    Not sure if this all that you are looking for, but take a look at the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and xsession scripts. It is well documented as to what each section does

    In there Keyboard is configured, and there will be part of a line that says something like DESKTOP="KDE". If you want nothing to load as a window manger, then do DESKTOP="". If you don't want the XServer to start period, then change the init version from 5 to 4 or 3. I forget which one is the correct number. Hope this helps ya out!!!

    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. how to change window manager (fluxbox instead of KDE)
    By net_benjo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 07:19 PM
  2. Window Manager does not start
    By RattyMan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:32 PM
  3. How to integrate new window-manager?
    By veuf in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:12 PM
  4. What should I use for my Window Manager?
    By e7eMeNt in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 03:02 AM
  5. change window manager
    By neotheonlyone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3 picture

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3

$185.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed picture

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed

$89.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99