Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Successful install

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    The same goes for other things like my USB reader, I have to compile a new kernel for that under linux. Or my digital camera, or scanner.
    You joke, surely? My USB reader works fine under Linux (Zio!) and Knoppix autocofigured and set up my scanner (Mustek BearPaw). My Canon Ixus 3 used to work fine as root (until I completely messed up the configuration trying to non-root it -- now I use the USB reader). In no case has a kernel recompile been necessary.

    Looks like you're running some pretty strange hardware........

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1

    Re: "complaints like this..."

    "It's complaints like this that make me wonder what people expect and why they don't just do a little reading first."

    A little reading? I've been reading this site for days and I am far from illiterate. Whatever you think is obviously in front of our faces, isn't. I have just managed to create a partition by erasing my entire hard drive (which I hadn't intended to do, but I am backed up, so it's OK). There was supposed to be the option to create a new one, but when I hit 'n' nothing happenned, so 'delete' was apparently my only option. Now I have an empty hard drive and a disk and no idea how to get the knoppix from the disk to the hard drive. And the floppy by itself is so flaky it's scary.
    I'll keep looking. I'm sure the information is there somewhere. Why it isn't all in one place, and in normal English, is beyond me.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    You don't need cfdisk. I find it painless when using knoppix-installer to run qtparted from a root shell first. Then I have no worries, mate!

    One question: when I configure printers from the Knopix liveCD or a knoppix-installed as knoppix hdd, everything works great. When installed as debian on a hdd I can't even get http://localhost:631 working.

    One more: also, when using the debian hdinstall, I need to pump -i eth0 or netcardconfig everytime I reboot or I have no surfing action! Why is this and what can I do about it? BTW, I have to restart sshd everytime too or forget fish!

    TIA,

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    A. Jorge Garcia,

    Are you using dhcp or static ip address for the debian hdinstall?

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I didn't set up these ip addresses. They are not true internet addresses, so they must be only local static ips.

    Regards,

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    One question: when I configure printers from the Knopix liveCD or a knoppix-installed as knoppix hdd, everything works great. When installed as debian on a hdd I can't even get http://localhost:631 working.


    One more: also, when using the debian hdinstall, I need to pump -i eth0 or netcardconfig everytime I reboot or I have no surfing action! Why is this and what can I do about it? BTW, I have to restart sshd everytime too or forget fish!

    TIA,
    Try running the webbrowser as root on the debian hdd install.
    I believe cups requires root access unless it's configured for users.

    If you startup with run level 5 just add ssh to /etc/rc5.d
    This worked for my debian hdd install:

    root# ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S20sshd

    Hope this helps

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I didn't set up these ip addresses. They are not true internet addresses, so they must be only local static ips.

    Regards,
    Why I asked was because I''ve been able to get the ltsp Terminal Sever (like the KNOPPIX Terminal Server), ftp server, Remote Xserver , & VNC running on my debian hdd install. If your interested maybe I can help.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Well, I was trying to get the Knoppix Terminal Server working. I'd be interested in that. Is LTSP different than the KTS?

    TIA,

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    http://www.ltsp.org

    I installed the .debs and followed the documentation.

    Hope this helps

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I know about ltsp, I'm just wondering what kts is based on and why I can't get it to work with PXE....

    TIA,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question After Successful HDD Install!
    By sakiZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:58 AM
  2. Kernel Panic - After successful install
    By Nataki in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. Successful md5sum check?
    By EdlinUser in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 09:15 PM
  4. Successful install
    By ndrake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 08:56 PM
  5. Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?
    By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00 picture

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00

$279.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98