-
Senior Member
registered user
The same goes for other things like my USB reader, I have to compile a new kernel for that under linux. Or my digital camera, or scanner.
You joke, surely? My USB reader works fine under Linux (Zio!) and Knoppix autocofigured and set up my scanner (Mustek BearPaw). My Canon Ixus 3 used to work fine as root (until I completely messed up the configuration trying to non-root it -- now I use the USB reader). In no case has a kernel recompile been necessary.
Looks like you're running some pretty strange hardware........
-
Re: "complaints like this..."
"It's complaints like this that make me wonder what people expect and why they don't just do a little reading first."
A little reading? I've been reading this site for days and I am far from illiterate. Whatever you think is obviously in front of our faces, isn't. I have just managed to create a partition by erasing my entire hard drive (which I hadn't intended to do, but I am backed up, so it's OK). There was supposed to be the option to create a new one, but when I hit 'n' nothing happenned, so 'delete' was apparently my only option. Now I have an empty hard drive and a disk and no idea how to get the knoppix from the disk to the hard drive. And the floppy by itself is so flaky it's scary.
I'll keep looking. I'm sure the information is there somewhere. Why it isn't all in one place, and in normal English, is beyond me.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You don't need cfdisk. I find it painless when using knoppix-installer to run qtparted from a root shell first. Then I have no worries, mate!
One question: when I configure printers from the Knopix liveCD or a knoppix-installed as knoppix hdd, everything works great. When installed as debian on a hdd I can't even get http://localhost:631 working.
One more: also, when using the debian hdinstall, I need to pump -i eth0 or netcardconfig everytime I reboot or I have no surfing action! Why is this and what can I do about it? BTW, I have to restart sshd everytime too or forget fish!
TIA,
-
A. Jorge Garcia,
Are you using dhcp or static ip address for the debian hdinstall?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I didn't set up these ip addresses. They are not true internet addresses, so they must be only local static ips.
Regards,
-

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
One question: when I configure printers from the Knopix liveCD or a knoppix-installed as knoppix hdd, everything works great. When installed as debian on a hdd I can't even get
http://localhost:631 working.
One more: also, when using the debian hdinstall, I need to
pump -i eth0 or
netcardconfig everytime I reboot or I have no surfing action! Why is this and what can I do about it? BTW, I have to restart sshd everytime too or forget fish!
TIA,
Try running the webbrowser as root on the debian hdd install.
I believe cups requires root access unless it's configured for users.
If you startup with run level 5 just add ssh to /etc/rc5.d
This worked for my debian hdd install:
root# ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S20sshd
Hope this helps
-

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I didn't set up these ip addresses. They are not true internet addresses, so they must be only local static ips.
Regards,
Why I asked was because I''ve been able to get the ltsp Terminal Sever (like the KNOPPIX Terminal Server), ftp server, Remote Xserver , & VNC running on my debian hdd install. If your interested maybe I can help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well, I was trying to get the Knoppix Terminal Server working. I'd be interested in that. Is LTSP different than the KTS?
TIA,
-
http://www.ltsp.org
I installed the .debs and followed the documentation.
Hope this helps
-
Senior Member
registered user
I know about ltsp, I'm just wondering what kts is based on and why I can't get it to work with PXE....
TIA,
Similar Threads
-
By sakiZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:58 AM
-
By Nataki in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
-
By EdlinUser in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 09:15 PM
-
By ndrake in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 08:56 PM
-
By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 20
Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON
$149.99