export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95 in a console window as root or change the symbolic link to point to gcc-2.95 ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 also root in a console window.Originally Posted by Hayabusa
I was able to get vmware 4.0 installed on knoppix (debian as it is not on the HD). However when i went to run the console configuration as root I get the following error message:
Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "2.95.4", while you are trying to use
"/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and VMware
Workstation cannot work in such configuration. Please either recompile your
kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.3", or restart /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc" version "2.95.4".
I'd like to opt for the last option presented to me and set the CC environment variable to point to gcc 2.95.4 which I believe is located on my system in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4
If anyone reading this can inform me of how to set this environment variable it would be greatly appreciated.
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95 in a console window as root or change the symbolic link to point to gcc-2.95 ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 also root in a console window.Originally Posted by Hayabusa
the export worked. i went to create the simlink and got:
ln: `/usr/bin/gcc-2.95': File exists
so i renamed it to gcc-2.95.orig, and created the simlink as specified.
now the error I get is:
Unable to find the compiler specified in the CC environnment variable:
"/usr/bin/gcc-2-95".
I also tried extracting 2-95.4 and got:
Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc-2-95.4". Use environment variable CC to override.
Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "2.95.4", while you are trying to use
"/usr/bin/gcc-2-95.4" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and
VMware Workstation cannot work in such configuration. Please either recompile
your kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc-2-95.4" version "3.2.3", or restart
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc"
version "2.95.4".
any suggestions?
I would use the export method it works and makes no changes to the system it only applies to the bash session you are in. Also you could try creating the link while in the while in the /usr/bin directory that way there would be no path in front of the link just the gcc-2.95 that it is looking for. eg while in the /usr/bin as root ln -s gcc gcc-2.95.Originally Posted by Hayabusa
from a fresh root bash session I deleted previous simlinks to gcc-2.95 .. exported againg, simlinked from in /usr/bin . rand the vmware-config.pl and got:
Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc-2.95". Use environment variable CC to override.
Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "2.95.4", while you are trying to use
"/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and
VMware Workstation cannot work in such configuration. Please either recompile
your kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" version "3.2.3", or restart
./vmware-config.pl with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc" version
"2.95.4".
it seems to be seing the 3,2,3 despite my efforts to tell it otherwise
' cd /usr/bin '
' ln gcc-2.95 gcc -sfn '
--Then redo the vmware config without exporting the cc var. This will permanently tell gcc to use the 2.95 version.
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
Thanks dave, using that method worked. I'm still a little unclear on why the kernel was complied with a different version that was included with my stem. anyway one more question. Is it fine to leave my gcc set like this to 2.95 or should I go about setting it back to 3.3 (and if so how do i do that?).
--You're better off leaving it at 2.95, that's the word I've been hearing anyway.
Originally Posted by Hayabusa

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.
$625.00
Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99