Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: NewBie: removing tetex? adding gnome / login / passwords

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    NewBie: removing tetex? adding gnome / login / passwords

    I would like a couple of answers and help with my knoppix remaster.
    First off, tetex takes up 90mb or so and if it's not necessary I'd love to get rid of it. From what I get off the net it's like a word processor or sort. Can it be safely removed? if I need to do something else please let me know

    I would love to get passwords back and have a login screen (gui)
    How can it be done? Can it be done?

    I would also love to get gnome 2.2+ to be able to show to people the main guis after installation of a typical linux distro.
    I've read the faq here on www.knoppix.net @ http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall

    Anything else I need to know about getting gnome working and is there any problems I should know about and what to do about them?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    TeTeX Removal

    I just gave it a try, removing tetex shouldn't cause too much of a problem. It's a text processor -- you create a tex file, run an executable, and output into a different file format. Interestingly enough, kpackage says debconf depends on it; according to synaptic, tetex-base and tetex-bin were just removed without any conflicts.

    [Edit...]

    While you're at it, you'll probably want to remove lyx ( the tex editor ) and auctex ( tex mode for Emacs ).

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18
    I have several remasters here some are Gnome 2.2 others is Gnome 2.4. It was tricky to get going but eventually it will install. Choose apt-get install gdm (gnome display manager) and configure Knoppix to use it instead of KDM. Tetex can be safely removed.

Similar Threads

  1. remaster with greeter login and passwords?
    By flashfyre in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:55 AM
  2. adding & removing menu items, please help...
    By zroiy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 02:56 AM
  3. Removing all traces of knoppix; Switching to gnome...
    By leecming in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 12:57 AM
  4. newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login
    By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 10:48 PM
  5. Newbie Question KDE3.1 and GNOME 2.2
    By LRutker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67