Hi Stephen,
You wouldn't be refering to the following thread, would you???
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592
ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!
Frustrated,
I noticed a couple of threads KDE seems to be having problems with CUPS it looks like printing is broken. I think I am out of ideas at this time I recently got a new to me printer and set it up and it is happening on the HD install also, if I get it worked out I will definetly post the solution.
Hi Stephen,
You wouldn't be refering to the following thread, would you???
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592
ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!
Frustrated,
Yes I would there seems to be some strange CUPS/KDE behavior going on. I did an install of Bonzai linux the other night but have yet to setup CUPS hopefully I get to it today and see if this happens with it or if this is just specific to knoppix I'll post back and let you know.Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
I got a chance to set up CUPS on the Bonzai linux and it works even was going to print in color if the cartridge wasn't nearly dead it would have given me full color so I would say there is a problem with knoppix KDE/CUPS going on somewhere in the setup. The printing works from Kate and Kword no problem except for the ugly default font since changed have not had the chance to play with it anymore than that yet so CUPS will work with KDE applications as long as it is setup properly.
Hi J:
I thought you were having at least some success setting up CUPS after seeing all the trash I went through in my thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592
I've been rereading this thread and am surprised by your needing a root passwd. I never needed a root passwd ever! I never set one up in KNOPPIX! I either used http://localhost:631 from KONQUEROR or <K><KNOPPIX><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE PRINTER(S)> to set up CUPS.
I wonder: can you print, on _that_ machine, on _that_ printer from Knoppix?Originally Posted by Stephen
- - Edwin
I tried that early on with no success. I see no reason why I would need a root password either. Please bear in mind that I am really, really new to Knoppix and Linux. So, it is entirely possible that I am missing something stupid. Basically, these are the same printers I use with WinXP, hooked onto an HP Pavilion Athlon-equipped machine via USB cables. Knoppix is the 06-06-03 release.I never needed a root passwd ever! I never set one up in KNOPPIX! I either used http://localhost:631 from KONQUEROR or <K><KNOPPIX><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE PRINTER(S)> to set up CUPS.
Have not tried that yet but I am going to give it a try from the CD and I may throw a spare HD in and do an install to check that as well I will post back when I get the chance to give it a try.Originally Posted by Edwin
Gotta' eat my words. It worked this time, and I got my test page on the Epson. Actually, before I was going from the shell -> peripherals -> printers -> printer setup, when I was having problems. I was still having problems last night, so I printed out both of the printer problem threads (this one and Jorge's), and noticed that this method was slightly different. Apparently, going through the K menu made all the difference. Don't know why, but it was easy.Originally Posted by j.drake
Thanks to all for your help.
Alleluia, Alleluia, etc (to the tune of harps and Beethoven).
Thank God, I knew we had to be missing something simple!
Happy printing,

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server E5-2698 V4 | No RAM | 2x 1600W PSU
$414.99
DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95