I agree. UPX is a great tool to use. Could gain quite a bit of space if most to all executables where UPX'ed
UPX isn't really a new tool but I don't see many people taking advantage of it. On my current knoppix install I saved 80MB by running "upx -5 *" on /usr/bin.
For those who don't know UPX is a free executable packer for various OSes [including linux] which can pack most applications and still let them run normally.
Tom
I agree. UPX is a great tool to use. Could gain quite a bit of space if most to all executables where UPX'ed
I don't think you would.. All the data is already compressed on the cd. Precompressing the programs might actually *decrease* the compression ratio of the cd.
yeah but upx strips the executables of all the debug symbols n shit like that that we dont really need. it compresses it surte but it removes stuff too from what i understand
That reminds me of the old program Pklite that I used to use in the early 90's.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99