I had similar problem with the 3.2-06-06 but this was because I was using XFS. When I switch to rieser or ext3/2 this problem goes away.
Hi There,
Lately, I have been trying to install Linux on a home PC, and run into some problems. When I attempt to install Mandrake 9.1, I can get through all of the package installation, but then the system hangs when it comes time to choose a bootloader. With Knoppix, I can bring it up from CD and get to the point of installing packages to the hard drive. Then errors will come up concerning the installation of packages, such as:
cloop:error -3 uncompressing block 16343 68536/5644/34527/0 393320683-393355210
end_request: I/O error, dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 2098404
This corresponded to the package /usr/bin/mysql_waitpid
Other packages/sectors run into similar problems, such as /usr/share/doc/bison/
Then I see an array of hexadecimal addresses print to the screen, followed by
code: f0 fe 49 04 0f .....
<0> kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler-not syncing
And then it all hangs....
I thought it might have been the iso's or CDs...but I have used images from both linuxiso.org and mirrors from the distribution web pages, and have also used both CDs from a cheap rebate stack and expensive memorex CDs.
I have had to power on/off repeatedly during these attempts, and think that some of the sectors of the hard drive are now corrupted. I am guessing that I can just download a DOS bootdisk with something like the scandisk utility to look for and possibly fix disk errors.
I am able to install RH 7 or MDK 7 without difficulty, but these only install 950-1000 MB of packages, so I thought that I might not have reached the bad sectors yet.
Other suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
I had similar problem with the 3.2-06-06 but this was because I was using XFS. When I switch to rieser or ext3/2 this problem goes away.
I think I was attempting to use plain "Linux" as the filesystem type...I tried to change to ext3/2, but was told it couldn't change it.
I am having the same problem installing from the isos.....
I am currently using windows 98 and red Hat 9. i an trying to install mandrake 9.1, but when i try to install, i get the following error message (partial, the real one is nearly a page and a half long! but this is the important part of it):
hda: lost interrupt
hda: lost interrupt
hda: lost interrupt
hda: host protected area =>1
hda: lost interrupt
hda: 1325485 sectors *i guessed that, but its close*....blah blah about the drive
hda: lost interrupt
hda: lost interrupt
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: lost interrupt
*does some stuff*
Partition check
hda: <4> hda:dma_timer_expiry:dma status == 0x24
hda: lost interrupt
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
deference at virtual address 00000024
printing eip:
c0l9b1ec
*pde=00000000
Oops=0000
<0> kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing
my roomate intalled mandrake using the same discs and had no problem at all...
my computer has:
soyo kt400 ultra dragon platinum mobo
Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2.133 GHz
256 pc3200 DDR RAM
80GB Seagate Barricuda HDD (gonna be linux drive)
4.5 GB Quantum Fireball HDD (swap)
6.5 GB Fujitsu (however u spell that) (windows drive)
64 MB DDR GeForce 4 MX 440 graphics card
Sony 16x DVD drive
Artec 52x24x52 cd burner
any help would be greatly appreciated....

Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS
$50.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$599.99
Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00
Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00
Vintage Cardinal Technologies Tseng Labs ET4000AX ISA VGA Card 1MB DRAM 16-bit
$76.99
Vintage Retro Beige ATX Sleeper PC Desktop Computer Case Good Condition
$199.99
Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac
$11.75
Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards
$57.59
Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00