Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: [Solved] Where to save my Documents :) [Stupid Question]

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61

    [Solved] Where to save my Documents :) [Stupid Question]

    Hello,
    I have a 20Go HDD, 4 parts.
    -1 WINXP
    -1 Knoppix
    -1 Data (Common Linux/WinXP)
    -1 SWAP

    I was wondering where in the Knoppix Part should I save my personnal data?
    The kind of "My Documents" folder?? (I don't want to look like a bill's friend...) I just do not want to copy stuff in the wrong place :P

    thanks in advance
    Coume

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Where to save my Documents :) [Stupid Question]

    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Hello,
    I have a 20Go HDD, 4 parts.
    -1 WINXP
    -1 Knoppix
    -1 Data (Common Linux/WinXP)
    -1 SWAP

    I was wondering where in the Knoppix Part should I save my personnal data?
    The kind of "My Documents" folder?? (I don't want to look like a bill's friend...) I just do not want to copy stuff in the wrong place :P

    thanks in advance
    Coume
    The usual place in Knoppix (linux in general) to save your documents is to your /home/user_name directory which is also usually on it's own partition seeing as you only have a / and a /swap partition that rules this out. You could of course try and shrink the / partition with QTParted which is included on the latest versions of knoppix and create space for a /home partition and use the Home Partition How To to create a real /home partition or re-install having created the needed /home partition before install and then moving it.

    If these options seem unattractive to you then I would save your important data (from the knoppix install) to your common XP/Linux partition in the event you may want to re-install knoppix as all data on the / partition will be overwritten.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    Hello,
    I would not mind resizing my Main Knoppix partition to create a special home one...
    My main Linux part in actually 5Go, is it too big? Can I put at let say: 4Go?
    I have really no clue, on the space used by the linux applications... Do I need to keep a lot of space for the temp files?

    And then if I do so (create a new partition) That means I will have no more thing to write on the main Linux one? except the new software installed?

    I hope I understood what you meant
    And thanks for helping me!
    Coume

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Hello,
    I would not mind resizing my Main Knoppix partition to create a special home one...
    My main Linux part in actually 5Go, is it too big? Can I put at let say: 4Go?
    I have really no clue, on the space used by the linux applications... Do I need to keep a lot of space for the temp files?

    And then if I do so (create a new partition) That means I will have no more thing to write on the main Linux one? except the new software installed?

    I hope I understood what you meant
    And thanks for helping me!
    Coume
    You understood me correctly. You only need a minimum size of 2.2GB for a knoppix install so if you were to make the / about 3 to 3.5GB you would have more than enough room there is a lot of software in the install that you can remove as you will never use it.

    Yes once you have made the /home partition only software will be installed to the / unless you choose not to save your files to the new /home partition that you create.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    Great! I will do that

    U said that I can uninstall stuff, is it from the package manager panel?
    But does it completely remove the files from the systems or only uncompressed one and keep the source package?
    And is there a way to install them back, later on (if they are completly deleted) in taking htem back from the Knoppix CD??

    Thanks!!
    Ludo

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Great! I will do that

    U said that I can uninstall stuff, is it from the package manager panel?
    But does it completely remove the files from the systems or only uncompressed one and keep the source package?
    And is there a way to install them back, later on (if they are completly deleted) in taking htem back from the Knoppix CD??

    Thanks!!
    Ludo
    When you install Knoppix you have Debian. Any packages they offer you can easily install. You can always install other packages from source too. To install packages in Debian you use apt-get and there are several frontends for it like synaptic, kpackage and aptitude. Kpackage is already installed. To get synaptic:
    As root do:
    Code:
    apt-get install synaptic
    synaptic
    You can see what packages are installed and read about them and what they're for. Be careful- you can really hose things up if you just go yanking things out too quickly. There is however alot of software that can be removed safely. I would advise against removing alot of software at once- make sure everything still boots and works, especially if you remove anything to to with networking even though it may seem unrelated. Just be careful- you'll like apt-get once you learn it.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    Thanks for the advice,
    I will try to be careful in playing around

    I just need to get use to linux... I did not used it for ages, and even when I used it before I never had to install/set up everything a friend's father helped me... It was back on a RedHat 3.x or perhaps even a 4.1...

    If you have any other advices/tips that could be interesting for a newbie do not hesitate!

    Thxs
    Ludo

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Thanks for the advice,
    I will try to be careful in playing around

    I just need to get use to linux... I did not used it for ages, and even when I used it before I never had to install/set up everything a friend's father helped me... It was back on a RedHat 3.x or perhaps even a 4.1...

    If you have any other advices/tips that could be interesting for a newbie do not hesitate!

    Thxs
    Ludo
    Just a few tips Apt-Get How-to if you decide to use that. Debian Lists you would want to subscribe to the security announce list for sure just to get notices of security updates to check your installed packages maybe the debian-user list but that has about 200-400 e-mails a day you can read it in a news reader if you wish there are also language specific lists as well. Knoppix France a french website for knoppix. The Unofficial Apt-Get web site for packages not included in the Debian mirrors. And as always the best resource on the internet Google Linux any error you ever get cut and paste into the search box and you should have many links to choose from. Another good site is Linux Questions that is about almost everything there is in linux.

    BTW when did you last use Linux I started with Redhat 5.2 and that was if IIRC early 1998.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    hmm the first time I played around with Linux, It was when I was having my first PC computer... (not the tape ones that I had earlier)

    I must have been 11/12years old, that's ten years ago. I learn everything on my own, as nobody was having a computer in my friends in france I discovered that you had to create folders (on my 40Mo HDD and 2Mo Ram / 386 SX 20 with the Turbo 33 lol) months after... Then I had all my games and small app on the C:\

    But Linux, it was much more later I think when I had a 486 or pehaps even a pentium! lol It must be around 1994/1996, when I started to go on the Internet... then let say around 7-9 years, but I never manage to connect the Internet through Linux it was too hard to configure!!!!
    After that my studies took me too much time and I stop playing with computers or should I say, with development etc..
    But now, I'm bored of MS, then I'm thinking of putting all my stuff under Linux, even perhaps the iPAQ...

    And a last thing! I have been AMAZED by the autodetection of the hardware by Knoppix... I was not even thinking Linux could be so easy... Ok, but after there are lots of stuff that are a bit hard (or that you have to learn... it takes a bit of time.. to get used to)

    Regards,
    Ludo

    N.B.: My use of Linux at this period was really really basic.. not much things only perhaps trying to hack some stuff...

Similar Threads

  1. Stupid question about LILO
    By crazygopedder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 02:36 AM
  2. Stupid question, please help a newb....
    By Mavrious in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:49 AM
  3. Probably a very stupid question, newbie
    By lace99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 02:25 PM
  4. Stupid question/protocol needed
    By nicorelli in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 08:18 PM
  5. Stupid question about remastering.
    By spite in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99