Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Knoppix guru needed

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix guru needed

    I have a need for a Knoppix based burn in CD. It would need to automatically run an extensive hardware burn in, and export results in some form (smtp?). I could even get you paid for it! Contact me at [email protected].

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    Burn-in CD

    I'm just finishing a remaster called overclockix. Its a pretty standard Knoppix without games. For burning hardware and running diskless distributed computing, I added memtest86, dbench, setiathome, folding@home, and prime-net. Folding@home runs at startup. I've written about 20 scripts to make controling these apps very simple.

    Sound like what you were looking for?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3
    Yes, just burn-in related software that would auto run, and send results over the network. If it can do this I will get my company to pay you for your efforts.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I think that could be done. I'd just need to write another script to collect the log files and mail them out.

    Folding@home downloads small work units from Stanford University and processes them in order to conduct research on protein folding. When done it sends the results back and downloads a new work unit. It uses about 20mb of ram, and turns up the heat on the CPU, even utilizing SSE or 3dnow instructions. In my experience it is very good at pointing out unstable hardware or settings. Right now in my remaster, it runs fine from startup on amachines with 128mb of ram, but if started manually from KDE it won't work correctly unless the machine has 160mb of ram or more. That is the only issue I've found so far. It can be started manually in other less ram-hungry window managers just fine AFAIK. F@H keeps a log file. In it you will find any errors the F@H client encountered. This is saved to the /home/knoppix/fold directory as FAHlog.txt.

    Samba would allow the log file to be copied onto a network.


    Setiathome works in a similar way and is a bit more ram intensive. It also has a logfile- state.sah that could be sent to the network through samba.

    Prime-net is a very intensive distribuited computing progrma that seeks to calculate incredibly large prime numbers. Its tough on a system, and its logfile displays errors a bit more readily that F@H or S@H. Like the others samba would allow this text file to be sent to a location on the network.

    dbench is a disk benchmarking utility. I have not used it yet and don't know anything else about it at this time.

    Memtest86 is a ram diagnostic utility. It thorougly tests the memory subsystem, though I'm not sure if it has a log file. It does count up errors during the course of its run and display them on-screen.

    Any one of these would be a great way to burn-in a new system if left running for most of a day.

    To quit F@H which runs at startup, run the command- foldoff
    to start setiathome, run the command- setion
    to start prime-net, run the command- primeon
    memtest all
    dbench -c /location/to/save/log


    ...and so forth. I've included an explanation of my custom scripts in the .iso. I'll be doing some finishing touches this evening and should get it uploaded to an ftp server overnight if everything works correctly.

    I'll let you know when its available and you can give me some details about your exact needs for sending the logs onto your network, so that I'll make your version somewhat more customized than the standard version I've been working on.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I've sent you a few emails, but they keep getting returned. Still interested? I have a working iso for you to try. All I'd need to do is change the init script for the burning app so you ran cpuburn at startup instead of folding@home, and add a method to send the logfile of each machine to an email addy or a network-shared FAT32 partition.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OOO, I'd be interested in S@H and PrimeNet! Are you going to upload your ISO somewhere?

    TIA,

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3774

    See that thread for a link.

    It runs folding@home at startup, but you can run the command:

    foldoff

    and it will kill folding.

    Then run:

    setion

    to start seti on the default user- Arkaine23.

    or run:

    cfgseti

    if you want to start seti and enter your own user info.

    primeon

    will start prime-net and let you configure it.

    setioff and primeoff will kill the apps.


    There are explanations of my scripts in the folder on the KDE desktop called Info. If you get a prompt to enter a password when running a script, then press Ctrl+C and run: sudo scriptname instead. I think that happens with the cfgseti script. I still need to correct a few minor problems like that



    I'm adding some more things to the next version:

    F-prot virus scanner
    kdfold
    minor fixes
    more backgrounds
    better fluxmenu and icemenu

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3
    I dont know why the emails are bouncing, try [email protected], or [email protected]
    I am interested in trying the ISO, email me a link and I will DL. Sorry I did not respond earlier, I do not get to this board much. Email is better.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9
    I can help with hosting the ISO on my 10 mbit ftp site in Sweden, if you like. I can't resolve your IP address to download your version at the moment.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    hmm, wonder what's upn on the server that's hosting my file... Try right-clicking the link if the download doesn't start automatically.

    http://folding.octeams.com/oclinux/O...ColdFusion.iso


    On another note, I'm going to asdd the F-prot scripts for windows virus scanning, and another burn-in app called lucifer. Samba is broken at the moment, but I'm going to uplaod an iso with these fixes just as soon as I can. It will have the same name and so the link will still work once the newer iso is available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting a USB key. IDEA for some real smart Knoppix guru
    By braverma_jom in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 04:52 AM
  2. knoppix guru needed!!
    By gyro in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 03:22 AM
  3. Natsemi internet connectivity problem, Guru needed :)
    By unclebulgaria in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 07:01 PM
  4. Is there any Init Guru is the place ?
    By smurfy__ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 01:40 PM
  5. Knoppix DHCP help needed !
    By Sitting Bull in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 02:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00