-
finally got it working....
Okay...I was finally able to install knoppix.
It seems to me that there are some bad sectors on my hd, but I was able to prevent that from screwing up the installation of essential packages by increasing the size of the swap partition (up to about 900 MB), so that most of the bad sectors occur in that partition. If I start swapping, its time to get a new computer, because I can't add any more RAM to it.
One thing I do like is that even though some packages didn't install correctly, the installation process continued. With RH, the process would simply hang without notification beyond "there was an error during installation" or something like that, and with MDK, while it would mention a particular app not installing and asking me if I would like to continue, it would nevertheless hang at the end of the package installaion phase. Knoppix informed me of the problem, but kept going if it could.
The only packages that didn't install correctly were doc pages, anyway. I fired things up and test drove all the apps I could see. The only things which don't work are spell checking within KOffice (Abiword and OO are fine) and the game Falcon's Eye, which I've never played.
I have a friend whose giving me a new hd, and I'll read up on compatibility and installation while playing around for awhile. If the current hd doesn't get any worse, fine. If it does, that's fine too....all my work is either ascii text (fortran programs, latex) or .rtf files, and easily fit on floppies.
Thanks for your help.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good
$649.00

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00