-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: got to command line, ran fdisk, fsck, here are results..
--Aargh... Ok, first off you need to know a little more about what you're doing. You CAN'T run fsck on certain partitions, notably Extended and Swap.
--Next on the list is the "Type 83" listed in fdisk. This is only 1 indicator that the partition is Linux-based - the actual filesystem (what it's FORMATTED AS) can be something like ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, etc. You need to know what's on your system.
--Ok, now as for clearing the hard drive... You shouldn't need to. Just boot from the CD, do another knx-hdinstall and it will reformat everything. And remember to boot with ' knoppix 2 '.
--Sorry if I sounded a little harsh, seeing a n00b trying to run fsck on a swap partition makes an old *nix admin cringe. 

Originally Posted by
ehawk
Okay,
I just tried loggin in via the hard drive, and enough of knoppix got installed to bring up the command line at /root. I ran fdisk on /dev/hda, and here are the results:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 3 24066 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 4 1027 8225280 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 4 54 409626 82 Linux Swap
/dev/hda6 55 601 4393746 83 Linux
/dev/hda7 602 1027 3421813+ 83 Linux
The entire hard drive is around 8 GB, so hda2 is basically everything and overlapping with everything excepte hda1. I used fdisk to (at least I thought) remove all the partitions, but when I booted up again, they were still as shown above.
Then I tried running fsck -V -a on each partition. I got back the following:
fsck -V -a /dev/hda1
/boot: clean: 26/6024 files, 3240/24066 blocks
fsck -V -a /dev/hda2
fsck ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to opend /dev/hda2 Could this be a zero-length partition?
fsck -V -a /dev/hda5
fsck: fsck.swap: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.swap for /dev/hda5
fsck -V -a /dev/hda6
[/sbin/fsck.reiserfs (1) __ /] fsck.reiserfs -a /dev/hda6
Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x306 of format 3.6 with standard journal
Blocks (total/free) 1098436/955847 by 4096 bytes
Filesystem is cleanly unmounted
Filesystem seems mounted read-only. Skipping jounral replay.
Checking internal tree...finished.
fsck -V -a /dev/hda7/
/usr: clean, 63968/428544 files, 247781/855453 blocks
exit
logout
is_leaf: nr_item seems wrong: level=1, nr_items=4101
free space=648 rdkeyvs-5150: Search_by_key:
invalid formate found in block 32002. Fsck?
When I try to boot knoppix from CD, I get the above exit respone, plus the following:
FAT bous logical sector 0
is_leaf:nr_item seems wong: level=1, nr_items=4101
free space=648 rdkey vs-5150: Serch_by_key:
invalid format found in block 32002. Fsck?
[21554 23525 0x0 SD]
Executing /et/init.d/xsession start:
Starting X-Windows....
Starting X11....blash:tty:Command not found
[/]root
Error: No suitable X-server found for your card (I am using the Sis 530 chipset, and got a fully-functional knoppix working before)
./etc/init.d/xsession: line 76: /etc/sysconfig/xserver:
./etc/init.d/xsession: line 76: Read-only file system
[The above two lines are reapete four times]
Retrying with Server XFree68(vesa) rm: Cannot remove
'etc/X11/XF86Config-4': Read-only file system
[./etc/init.d/xsession: lines repeated again]
How do I make those partitions/files that I need to remove read-writable?
I just want to clear the entire hard drive, fix any errors in bad sectors (if possible), and prepare it
for a clean installation. How do I do this?
Thanks for your help.
Guess I should have tried ctrl-alt-del a lot more often when getting frozen then power off/on...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89