-
Junior Member
registered user
printing problem
linux newbie running an HDD install of knoppix. when trying to add a printer I get the following error:
"Unable to retreive the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused."
Any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: printing problem

Originally Posted by
pummer
linux newbie running an HDD install of knoppix. when trying to add a printer I get the following error:
"Unable to retreive the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused."
Any ideas?
There is a bug in the install and cups does not get started on boot like it should. Try from a console window as root /etc/init.d/cupsys start to start the cups daemon.
[edit]
You may also if you want cups started on boot every time to add the line to the bottom of the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh.
[/edit]
-
Junior Member
registered user
i'd like it to start every time i guess, but every time I go to open that file I get problems... and i'm trying as root too...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pummer
i'd like it to start every time i guess, but every time I go to open that file I get problems... and i'm trying as root too...
Are you talking about the /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh file? You should be able to open it no problem even as regular user you just would not be able to write to it, can you post the error you get?
[edit]
With the cupsys file you are just starting the daemon if that is the one you are trying to open.
[/edit]
-
just a thought
if you're using KDE have you tried configuring your printer from the KDE control center (under peripherals ->printers)?
That's how I set mine up and I have no problems printing or have the cups service not start for me.
-
Junior Member
registered user
stephen: Yes, I'm talking about the bootmisc.sh.
Hayabusa: That's the point where I get the CUPS error...
Similar Threads
-
By rhirwin in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-14-2005, 10:42 PM
-
By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-10-2004, 05:46 PM
-
By benw in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 06:22 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 06:22 AM
-
By crackdaddysnap in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 02-01-2003, 04:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99