-
Junior Member
registered user
Remastering, removing KDE, starting X
Hello all.
I've recently started playing with the idea of remastering Knoppix, and been having some fun removing, adding, and thinking of what to install.
I've removed a great deal of programs and libraries to get the compressed KNOPPIX down to 196 MB, and I've decided to test it out.
The biggest thing I've done is remove KDE completely (which doesn't seem too absurd, as lots have seem to have done it before), and use fluxbox instead (for now, but I might head towards Ratpoison for my final idea, which is along the lines of Damn Small Linux).
I've also edited /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, and switched the line..
Code:
case "$DESKTOP" in gnome|kde|larswm|xfce|windowmaker|wmaker|icewm|fluxbox|twm) ;; *) DESKTOP="KDE"; ;; esac
..to..
Code:
case "$DESKTOP" in gnome|kde|larswm|xfce|windowmaker|wmaker|icewm|fluxbox|twm) ;; *) DESKTOP="fluxbox"; ;; esac
Anyways, when I go to test my KNOPPIX out and reboot with my floppy, I can't get X to start up. If I boot with no options, X won't start. If i try booting with "knoppix 2", and then "startx", "/usr/bin/fluxbox", or "startx /usr/bin/fluxbox", I get an error of "no screens found". I'd post the whole error, but I can't copy and paste. If I try rebooting again later, I'll write it down.
I guess my question is, is there anything I've missed in the config files while remastering? I can't seem to find any other info except for changing the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file.
If anyone can help out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By florin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2005, 02:11 AM
-
By technoronin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 01:36 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105
$19.95

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95