Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Way to alter files in etc when booted from CD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    Way to alter files in etc when booted from CD

    I'm testing this out....

    What I've done is make a folder in the desktop of user knoppix- /home/knoppix/Desktop/config_dir/

    I move the original config files that I want to be able to change to /etc/skel/Desktop/config_dir so they will be copied into the directory on knoppix's desktop at boot.

    Then in /etc/ I make symlinks that point to /home/knoppix/Desktop/config_dir/foo for each config file I do this to.

    That way my remaster should allow for changing config files as in the standard way.

    Edit: didn't work for hostname
    vi /etc/hostname for example would follow the symlink and start editing the file in ramdisk on my desktop

    I'm testing this now. I think it will work.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    ok, I can change hostname by editing the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script, and also by running /etc/init.d/hostname.sh after changing my /etc/hostname file that I moved into the ramdisk and symlinked the original location.

    I get some strange errors though when I su

    one about gethostname not being ablke to find my new hostname, and one about smail having moved its log to a different location (probably trying to send mail to [email protected] to report a problem with gethostname)

    Seems to work fine other than that little annoiance though. I'm trying to write in a cheatcode to knoppix-autoconfig so the user can set the hostname like that.

Similar Threads

  1. Booted KNOPPIX 3.7 from USB, help with a few things ??
    By tadpole in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
  2. Remaster: Install Knoppix to HDD, alter then burn to ISO
    By lorddecker in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 06:08 PM
  3. booted and its slow...
    By TanZed in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 08:17 PM
  4. getting booted from java sites?
    By nachral in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 04:33 AM
  5. remastering while booted from harddrive
    By John in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 0B36404 Ultrastar DC HC320 8TB 7200RPM SATA HDD, HUS728T8TALE6L4 picture

Western Digital 0B36404 Ultrastar DC HC320 8TB 7200RPM SATA HDD, HUS728T8TALE6L4

$250.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

$509.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99