Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: KDE is in a frozen state

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9

    KDE is in a frozen state

    When I tried to install the Real Player (Linux version) from real.com, I noticed the following:

    * Konqueror crashed
    * I managed to download the player via Mozilla
    * Then I restarted the machine

    I now see the root window (that says "debian") blank without any icons and KDE does not seem to be alive.

    How should I fix this problem? Rebooting does not seem to help.

    Umar

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I am not familiar with the installation procedure of realplayer- did you install a .deb? Or, more likely was there an installer? If it was a .deb at the LILO prompt enter linux single then apt-get remove realplayer (or whatever it's called). If it was an installer then hopefully they also make an uninstaller. Sorry - that's probably not much help is it? Not to be a smart*ss but in the future run away from anything that isn't open source and especially if it has a cute little installer I would be especially wary.

    Their 'support" page is here but the Help documentation link seems to be broken. No big suprise there.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    37

    alternative to real player

    rickenbacherus
    Is there an alternative to Real for listening to streaming music (and the 30 second clips that CDNOW provides)?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I am not familiar with the installation procedure of realplayer- did you install a .deb?
    Totally simple procedure really alien -i rp8_whatever_the__rest_is it works flawlessly at least on my machine. I have never had any problems the OP describes.

    senorian: Use alien as root in a console window to install the file it will work I don't know of any alternative to it there maybe one I would suggest Google Linux with some well chosen keywords.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: alternative to real player

    Quote Originally Posted by senorian
    rickenbacherus
    Is there an alternative to Real for listening to streaming music (and the 30 second clips that CDNOW provides)?
    Thanks
    I use XMMS to listen to streaming audio. I don't know if it would work for the particular streams you're interested in or not. 30 second clips? What format are they?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: alternative to real player

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I use XMMS to listen to streaming audio. I don't know if it would work for the particular streams you're interested in or not. 30 second clips? What format are they?
    They are in Windows media and Realplayer at least they offer an alternative to MS most sites like that don't. XMMS is a fine tool use it myself all the time the only reason for having real on the computer is for The Linux Show (like to plug it any opportunity I get) sometimes the mp3 and ogg steams go down and all you get is real. Sorry if I seem like I'm dogging your posts today.

    BTW senorian the RealOne player will install fine if you want to use that file instead of the just Realplayer 8 forgot to mention that above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: alternative to real player

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Sorry if I seem like I'm dogging your posts today.
    nah...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm. I have been using the alpha version of the RealOne player. It works fine but the link I was using is down and whenever I try and download RealOne from Real it just gives me Real 8. Anyone know if the RealOne player for linux is still available?

Similar Threads

  1. frozen computer+ reboot= no kde?
    By mimes in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:57 AM
  2. frozen-bubble-data
    By thefly1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 12:19 PM
  3. frozen bubble
    By nvgringo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 12:58 PM
  4. Graphical system state
    By guillaumecote in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2003, 11:37 AM
  5. solid state problem
    By monkeyman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD

$199.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION* picture

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*

$319.79



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$69.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



OS 18TB SAS 12Gb/s White Label Enterprise HDD Seagate picture

OS 18TB SAS 12Gb/s White Label Enterprise HDD Seagate

$280.00