Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: USB STICK Newbie question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9

    USB STICK Newbie question

    I am an utter newbies, and havent even finished reading the manuals yet!

    Thanks to Partition Magic 8, my Desktop with Knoppix installed has crashed.
    So I tried loading it from the cd on my laptop.

    The laptop has 3 USB ports, and I have a 128 MB USB stick. However, this works unreliably with Windows XP, and I have been advised to reinstall XP from scratch.

    However, before doing this, I wondered if the stick would be recognized/work with Knoppix run from the CD but not installed on the hard disk (yet).

    Is it HDA5, SDA1, or what? If I click on a non-existent drive, Knoppix hangs. Must I first mount it, and how? Of course, booting Knoppix from the CD I do not have a root password.

    If I have to install Knoppix on the hard disk first, how do I then proceed to access the USB stick? Is it automatically mounted, or not?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    If the stick is supported, it should be available as sda1 automatically when it is plugged. try this with the stick plugged.

    cat /proc/mounts

    if you see /dev/sda1 or something like that(assuming you don't have other SCSI devices), it is recognized and can be mounted to any mount point. If you see nothing, it is not supported and there is no way you can have it recognized running from a CD version. Even if you HD install it, you have to grab the linux kernel source and patch it to have your device recognized. Not an easy task.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: USB STICK Newbie question

    --Do ' fdisk -l /dev/sd? ', as shown. This tells fdisk to search all sd* devices. I had one case where the USB drive ended up being /dev/sdb, with no partition - just sdb. So ' mkdir /mnt/tmp; mount /dev/sdb /mnt/tmp ' worked.

    --I've heard Bad Things about the latest PM; so I'm sticking with 7.01. Only supports up to 80 gig, so that's what I buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by translator
    I am an utter newbies, and havent even finished reading the manuals yet!

    Thanks to Partition Magic 8, my Desktop with Knoppix installed has crashed.
    So I tried loading it from the cd on my laptop.

    The laptop has 3 USB ports, and I have a 128 MB USB stick. However, this works unreliably with Windows XP, and I have been advised to reinstall XP from scratch.

    However, before doing this, I wondered if the stick would be recognized/work with Knoppix run from the CD but not installed on the hard disk (yet).

    Is it HDA5, SDA1, or what? If I click on a non-existent drive, Knoppix hangs. Must I first mount it, and how? Of course, booting Knoppix from the CD I do not have a root password.

    If I have to install Knoppix on the hard disk first, how do I then proceed to access the USB stick? Is it automatically mounted, or not?

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie question?
    By boombastic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:23 PM
  2. newbie question
    By gt300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 06:32 PM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Newbie question...
    By JMichael in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 08:01 PM
  5. Really Newbie Question
    By way2late in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00