-
Senior Member
registered user
SECURITY ALERT-Why It Seems To Be Ignored?
This post is getting very few responses although it looks serious. Any response from Stephen,Rickenbacherus,etc ? I am really concerned about this.
-
Senior Member
registered user
No-one has sent it to the debian-knoppix mailing list, however, it is a local exploit.
Now if you're worried about a local exploit, I take it you have your computer in a locked safe with no physical access to it?
Additionally, I don't see a .qt directory in /tmp/ . Do you have one?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
It means you must already have an account on your computer before you can exploit it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
So does it mean this security problem is not severe?
Please make this clear.
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think the post got the response it deserved I have the last two version installed on a spare drive I use for testing and could find no such file in either.
And to be perfectly clear on the local expliot a person must have physical access to your machine and be able to login to the computer. The only totaly secure computer is one kept under lock and key that only you have access to and with no connection to any network.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I was concerned because I do have those files both on root's home and my home-the is the .qt directory with the files mentioned in that alert. I have version 0606.
Would it be safe to delete the directory? I have no idea if it relates to the qt programs.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've logged into my nephew's computer which I have put the 06-06 version on a well and the file is not here either that being said it is only a directory in the /tmp directory so remove it if you feel that uncomfortable with it being there as was stated above the only way someone could use the exploit ( if it is actually one this has yet to be confirmed) would be to have access to your computer.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks Stephen for replying and please pardon my seemingly paranoid reaction to this. One of the reasons why I am shifting to Linux is the frequent security problems and various viri which seem to plague windows systems. At one time my pc and the office pc was infected with 10 viri which fortunately norton was able to catch. And now this.
BTW, the .qt directory in my pc is NOT in the /tmp. It is one of the hidden directory on the /home/user. In this case, does this relate to the alert or it is not affected ,being not in the /tmp directory?
-
Senior Member
registered user
The .qt files in the other directories are fine and safe. Don't remove them!
If you're still feeling paranoid (and it's not such a bad thing!) you might like to install a firewall and look for Linux security articles on the internet (Google will chuck up plenty).
But it's worth mentioning that the best security strategy is to simply back up your data.
Similar Threads
-
By eadz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
-
By richardljohnson in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 12:03 AM
-
By DeadMale in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 06:22 PM
-
By Edix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
-
By kipizit in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99