Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Router

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55

    Router

    iproute, ipchains, iptables

    Has anyone of you tried to use Knoppix as a router ?

    w.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I am running knoppix as a router and a wireless access point (with card running in ad-hoc mode) as well as running NAT for internet access from the inside network. Works fine from a CD.

    Your references to iptables indicate that you also might want to run this as a firewall (as well as a router). I am currently working on this in an attempt to run a firewall from CD, but have not spent a lot of time with it recently and still don't have it running to my satisfaction.

    However, I have loaded knoppix on a dedicated firewall pc, using bastille to configure NAT , firewall rules, and port scan logging. Works great for a small office setup.

    Ideally I would like to get everything running from a cd based instance of knoppix. Any help on a script to run a suitable iptables ruleset for a dual honed pc would be a GREAT followup to this posting

    Regards,

    ~paul

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    I am running knoppix as a router and a wireless access point (with card running in ad-hoc mode)
    I've thought about trying to do this before, but didn't get very far.

    I googled around and found a bsd howto for doing this here.

    You know where there is a comparable linux howto/info?

    Thanks,

    Adam

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Here is the url I used to get started...

    http://www.live.com/wireless/unix-base-station.html

    get familiar with the iwlist and netcardconfig commands on knoppix, and you'll be all right...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Thanks I'll check it out. BTW, after I put up my last post I did some more googling and found something called Sisela.

    The author describes Sisela as "... a Linux-based single boot floppy that allows you to turn any spare PC system with a floppy drive and one or more ISA, PCI, PCMCIA or CardBus network devices into a router, gateway, firewall, wireless access point, DHCP server or any combination of these functions."

    I know of other such floppy tools but none of them with such wireless capeabilities. It's still in the early stages though.

Similar Threads

  1. Help configouring Lan Router
    By francy222 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
  2. What's so special about a router?
    By sn0wflake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
  3. Anyone use a router?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
  4. USB Router/Modem
    By tommyf in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
  5. 3com 812 router
    By carmine65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz QUAD Core (4 Core) Desktop Processor 8MB LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz QUAD Core (4 Core) Desktop Processor 8MB LGA 1151

$29.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95



hp Desktop PC Computer Quad Core 16GB RAM DUAL 22

hp Desktop PC Computer Quad Core 16GB RAM DUAL 22" LCDs Wi-Fi BT Windows 11 SSD

$219.99