-
Router
iproute, ipchains, iptables
Has anyone of you tried to use Knoppix as a router ?
w.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am running knoppix as a router and a wireless access point (with card running in ad-hoc mode) as well as running NAT for internet access from the inside network. Works fine from a CD.
Your references to iptables indicate that you also might want to run this as a firewall (as well as a router). I am currently working on this in an attempt to run a firewall from CD, but have not spent a lot of time with it recently and still don't have it running to my satisfaction.
However, I have loaded knoppix on a dedicated firewall pc, using bastille to configure NAT , firewall rules, and port scan logging. Works great for a small office setup.
Ideally I would like to get everything running from a cd based instance of knoppix. Any help on a script to run a suitable iptables ruleset for a dual honed pc would be a GREAT followup to this posting 
Regards,
~paul
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pau1knopp
I am running knoppix as a router and a wireless access point (with card running in ad-hoc mode)
I've thought about trying to do this before, but didn't get very far.
I googled around and found a bsd howto for doing this here.
You know where there is a comparable linux howto/info?
Thanks,
Adam
-
Senior Member
registered user
Here is the url I used to get started...
http://www.live.com/wireless/unix-base-station.html
get familiar with the iwlist and netcardconfig commands on knoppix, and you'll be all right...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks I'll check it out. BTW, after I put up my last post I did some more googling and found something called Sisela.
The author describes Sisela as "... a Linux-based single boot floppy that allows you to turn any spare PC system with a floppy drive and one or more ISA, PCI, PCMCIA or CardBus network devices into a router, gateway, firewall, wireless access point, DHCP server or any combination of these functions."
I know of other such floppy tools but none of them with such wireless capeabilities. It's still in the early stages though.
Similar Threads
-
By francy222 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
Replies: 32
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
-
By tommyf in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
-
By carmine65 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w
$388.88

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95