This is just a shot in the dark but if you don't need WOL you might try unplugging that wire from your NIC. I have had some weird experiences w/ the FA311- it would casue my SlotA AMD to power on simply by inserting the card into its slot!
Hi. I'm a linux newb and I need some help with Knoppix. I just did a hdinstall on my computer and when installing I got the following error message:
Sending DHCP Broadcast from device eth0<6>eth0: Autonegotiation did not complete in 4000 usec.
etho0: Link up
eth0: remaining active for wake-on-lan
Operation failed.
Failed.
I've not yet tried to access the internet from within my hd install because 1) I got the exact same error message using Netcardconfig while using Knoppix from CD
2) My internet connection didn't work from CD.
Those two points make me assume that I'm not going to be able to access the internet from my hdd install. I will try tho, and post the results to this message.
I'm using an Athlon tbird 1.2ghz 512m RAM, 20 gig hdd. Windows xp on partition 1, linux ext2 on partition 2, linux swap on parition 3, and fat32 on partition 4. Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem, netgear FA311 nic. Everything else seems to work fine when I boot from CD.
Help?!?!
This is just a shot in the dark but if you don't need WOL you might try unplugging that wire from your NIC. I have had some weird experiences w/ the FA311- it would casue my SlotA AMD to power on simply by inserting the card into its slot!
the netgear FA311 nic is kind of hard to configure, try this as root:
modprobe natsemi
if it loads w/out giving an error, and you are using a dhcp server for your ip address then use this command:
pump
or use the knoppix netcard config wizzard
HTH
--rock
I don't know what happened, but I reinstalled knoppix on my pc. And now, when I boot from the HDD, i can get to the net. Don't know why it didn't do it before, but it works now. Who knew? No problems at all on the install. Thanks for all the help.

Intel Core i5/i7/i9 AMC CPU Processors, LOT of 90 pcs
$18000.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
Intel Core Ultra 7 265K 3.9GHz LGA 1851 Processor
$249.99