Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Networking configuration...please help.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3

    Networking configuration...please help.

    Hi. I'm a linux newb and I need some help with Knoppix. I just did a hdinstall on my computer and when installing I got the following error message:

    Sending DHCP Broadcast from device eth0<6>eth0: Autonegotiation did not complete in 4000 usec.
    etho0: Link up
    eth0: remaining active for wake-on-lan
    Operation failed.
    Failed.

    I've not yet tried to access the internet from within my hd install because 1) I got the exact same error message using Netcardconfig while using Knoppix from CD
    2) My internet connection didn't work from CD.

    Those two points make me assume that I'm not going to be able to access the internet from my hdd install. I will try tho, and post the results to this message.

    I'm using an Athlon tbird 1.2ghz 512m RAM, 20 gig hdd. Windows xp on partition 1, linux ext2 on partition 2, linux swap on parition 3, and fat32 on partition 4. Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem, netgear FA311 nic. Everything else seems to work fine when I boot from CD.

    Help?!?!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    This is just a shot in the dark but if you don't need WOL you might try unplugging that wire from your NIC. I have had some weird experiences w/ the FA311- it would casue my SlotA AMD to power on simply by inserting the card into its slot!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    the netgear FA311 nic is kind of hard to configure, try this as root:

    modprobe natsemi

    if it loads w/out giving an error, and you are using a dhcp server for your ip address then use this command:

    pump

    or use the knoppix netcard config wizzard

    HTH

    --rock

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3
    I don't know what happened, but I reinstalled knoppix on my pc. And now, when I boot from the HDD, i can get to the net. Don't know why it didn't do it before, but it works now. Who knew? No problems at all on the install. Thanks for all the help.

Similar Threads

  1. GUI for Networking?
    By jpkennedy79 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 05:08 AM
  2. Networking
    By anthonywandeto in forum Networking
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
  3. Wireless Networking help
    By Mike UK in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
  4. No Internet, No Networking HELP Please
    By quo_vadis in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 08:52 PM
  5. Networking
    By Nthline in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99