-
Knoppix/Debian Newbie - Partitioning Advice
A warm greetings to everyone,
This is my first post so let me introduce myself first... the name's really Bryan but I've been bxb32001 online (and in all forums I participate in) for quite a while so that is the name I chose here. Though I started my Linux experience with Red Hat 7.2 two years ago, after a year of using it I switched back to Win2K for work reasons... I recently downloaded and burned a Knoppix CD, used it and loved it so now I'm hooked again... now I want to install it onto my hard drive!
I usually just choose the defaults provided in the RH installation and this worked fine for me... this time around I am mulling a partitioning scheme more appropriate for my use... I am basically asking that someone look over my partitioning plans and tell me what they think.
I have 2 disks, the first one a 80 GB 7,200 rpm Seagate, the second a 60 gb 5,400(?) rpm Seagate. Here's how I planned my partitioning scheme.
80 GB disk
- 18 GB, primary, NTFS - for the Win2K system
- 18 GB, primary , NTFS - for related Win2K junk and swap
- rest of space, /home, ext3 (about 42 GB)
- 1024 mb swap for linux.. (I have 512MB RAM)
60 GB
- 24 GB, for the / (or /root?) partition
- 18 GB, primary, FAT32 - so I can trasfer files between systems
- 18 GB, primary, NTFS - for my Virtal CD files (I'm a gamer of sorts!)
How does this look? right now I have one 18 GB NTFS parition on my 80 GB drive (newly installed Win2K)... I plan to add all the other partitions (NTFS and FAT32, later).
Any advice / input is greatly appreciated...
- Bryan
Similar Threads
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 05:04 AM
-
By ellen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
-
By celtic_kiwi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-18-2003, 11:56 PM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-17-2003, 03:15 AM
-
By jforbes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72