Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: LILO woe

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6

    LILO woe

    I'm having problems with LILO now that I've done the HDD install. I've been using a boot disk until now but I decided to install LILO instead. When I try and run /sbin/lilo, I'm greeted with the following response:

    Code:
    LILO is unable to correctly determine the device codes assigned to two
    of your disks by the System BIOS.  Consequently, it seems to have guessed
    wrong.  The following conflict needs to be resolved with explicit
        "disk=/dev/...  bios=0x??" lines in '/etc/lilo.conf'.
    
    Fatal: Bios device code 0x80 is being used by two disks
            /dev/ataraid/d0 (0x7200)  and  /dev/hdg (0x2200)
    This is a bit of a bugger because these disks are both attached to my RAID controller (PDC20276, currently being used as ATA133 rather than RAID). The two disks attached to the controller are /dev/hde (/dev/ataraid/d0 - Windows install) and /dev/hdg (/dev/ataraid/d1 - Linux). I've never had any problems installing LILO to the MBR of /dev/hde in the past when I've been using Mandrake/RH/SuSE so I'm not sure how to resolve this. My /etc/lilo.conf hasn't been changed from the one created during the HDD install:

    Code:
    boot=/dev/hde
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
    
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
            label=knoppix
            root=/dev/hdg5
            read-only
            initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    
    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    #       label=dos
    #       optional
    #       table=/dev/hda
    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You might try adding something like this to lilo.conf:

    Code:
    # Overrides the default mapping between harddisk names and the BIOS'
    # harddisk order. Use with caution.
    disk=/dev/hde
        bios=0x81
    
    disk=/dev/hdg
        bios=0x80
    First try with just "disk=/dev/hde bios=0x81" and if that doesn't work try adding the second one. Make sense?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6
    Yeah I've already tried doing that. When I did disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80 it gave me the same error message but said that this time it was /dev/hdg and /dev/ataraid/d1 that had the same BIOS code (as you'd hope since they're the same disk!)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hi,

    I'm having the same problem. I am not running RAID, but I do have 7 devices, 4 on the 2 regular channels and 3 on the 2 HPT channels (one slave is empty).

    It's complaining about the following:

    Code:
    root@knoppix-klb:~# /sbin/lilo
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Added Linux *
    Skipping /vmlinuz.old
    Added Other(hdg1)
    
    LILO is unable to correctly determine the device codes assigned to two
    of your disks by the System BIOS.  Consequently, it seems to have guessed
    wrong.  The following conflict needs to be resolved with explicit
        "disk=/dev/...  bios=0x??" lines in '/etc/lilo.conf'.
    
    Fatal: Bios device code 0x81 is being used by two disks
            /dev/hdg (0x2200)  and  /dev/hde (0x2100)
    root@knoppix-klb:~#
    I tried uncommenting both of the "bios" lines (first the first, then both) and it still gave me the same error. As the original poster said, I have a boot floppy which I can continue to use but I'd like to be able to configure it to boot from the hard drive. What am I doing wrong?

    The "bios" lines are:

    Code:
    #disk=/dev/hde
    #    bios=0x81
    
    #disk=/dev/sda
    #    bios=0x80
    Only one of them refers to one of the drives in conflict (hde and hdg), but I don't want to break anything so I'm stopping here.

    Why would two drives have the same device code? Windows 2000 doesn't complain about it (for reference, not to start a flame war).

    If you need further information about my system I'll be happy to provide it. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Beal
    Fatal: Bios device code 0x81 is being used by two disks
    /dev/hdg (0x2200) and /dev/hde (0x2100)
    root@knoppix-klb:~#
    From man lilo.conf:

    disk=<device-name>
    Defines non-standard parameters for the specified disk. See sec-
    tion "Disk geometry" of user.tex for details. Especially useful
    is the `bios=' parameter. The BIOS numbers your disks 0x80, 0x81,
    etc. and it is impossible to decide which Linux disk corresponds
    to which BIOS disk (since this depends on the BIOS setup, and on
    the type of BIOS), so if you have an unusual setup you need to
    state the correspondence between Linux disks and BIOS disks. For
    example,

    disk=/dev/sda
    bios=0x80
    disk=/dev/hda
    bios=0x81

    would say that your SCSI disk is the first BIOS disk, and your
    (primary master) IDE disk is the second BIOS disk. Other options
    include the specification of disk geometry; e.g.,

    disk=/dev/fd0
    sectors=18
    heads=2
    cylinders=80
    With that in mind, try this:

    sudo /sbin/lilo -v3 -t

    That should tell you what you need to enter in LILO.

    Try something like this for example:

    disk=/dev/hde
    bios=0x80

    disk=/dev/hdg
    bios=0x81

Similar Threads

  1. where has LILO gone
    By whoeverheis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 07:13 PM
  2. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  3. LILO
    By emartinson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 04:22 AM
  4. Fix LILO?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
  5. lilo help
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black picture

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black

$429.94



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



PATRIOT VIPER 32GB (4X8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM MEMORY PV332G160C9QK picture

PATRIOT VIPER 32GB (4X8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM MEMORY PV332G160C9QK

$70.00



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95