-
Junior Member
registered user
Tried to get Knoppix to recognize HDs
I tried replacing the Kernel but it didn't fly.
- I used "dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0" to write the boot image from the Knoppix CD to a floppy.
- Then I copied vmlinuz from the Compaq rack-mount system. Note that this kernel runs fine except it was made from the "compact" pair of floppies for installation so it doesn't have all the Knoppix goodies.
- Then I copied the Knoppix CD to the HD on a working system with "cp -r /cdrom/* /root/new_cd/."
- Then I used "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/root/new_cd/KNOPPIX/boot-en.img" to update the boot image on the HD.
- Next I built a new ISO image with `mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -b KNOPPIX/boot.img -c KNOPPIX/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /new_img.iso .` from the /root/new_cd directory.
- Lastly I burned the /new_img.iso image to a CD and booted the Compaq with it -- everything seems okay except when I run knx-hdinstall it complains with "No swap partition could be found on the chosen hard disk. The script will be terminated"
Does anyone have any ideas on how to blend the Knoppix install CD with a kernel that can handle these "Smart" Array Controllers from Compaq?
Thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By JPWhite in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-28-2005, 09:47 PM
-
By MikeJones in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 07:35 PM
-
By pepesz in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 12:57 AM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 02:39 PM
-
By Dial-IN in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-26-2002, 02:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73