I have the same problem. Any suggestions?
Hello,
I am working with Knoppix system V3.2-06-06 booted from CD on PC computer. My problem is unfunctional remote login throuh telnet from another PC in our intranet net with Windows98. I have uncomented the preprepared line in /etc/inetd.conf like this:
telnets stream tcp nowait sslwrap.sslwrap /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sslwrap -nocert -addr 127.0.0.1 -port 23
I have restarted inetd using kill -1 <process number>
Command : telnet <IP adress> replied:
Trying <IP adress>...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
Then I have added new line in default inetd.conf file like this:
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
restart inetd and command : telnet <IP adress> replied
Trying <IP adress>...
Connected to <ip adress>.
Escape character is '^]'.
Error loading /usr/lib/ssl/certs/telnetd.pem: 5135:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:259:fopen('/usr/lib/ssl/certs/telnetd.pem','r')
5135:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:261:
5135:error:140C8002:SSL routines:SSL_use_certificate_file:system lib:ssl_rsa.c:101:
do_ssleay_init() failed
Connection closed by foreign host.
This is the same like:
root@ttyp0[etc]# in.telnetd -debug 23
Error loading /usr/lib/ssl/certs/telnetd.pem: 5259:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:259:fopen('/usr/lib/ssl/certs/telnetd.pem','r')
5259:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:261:
5259:error:140C8002:SSL routines:SSL_use_certificate_file:system lib:ssl_rsa.c:101:
do_ssleay_init() failed
What can I do to solve my problem?![]()
I have the same problem. Any suggestions?
I finally got telnet to work on Knoppix 3.2 HD install. Apparently, if one has SSL installed then atleast one certificate is needed or a "dummy certificate" will also do. This is the telnetd.pem file that is reported missing.
Here is what I had to do as root:
After this test "telnet localhost" and it should work.Code:cd /usr/lib/ssl/certs openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out telnetd.pem -keyout telnetd.pem
Thank you very much. It works OK.![]()
![]()
I can get telnet to work to the localhost with this, but remote hosts are refused. Any ideas?
i had the same problem as mentioned above. first thanks for the help with ssl, however you found out
to allow remote hosts, you have to alter the file /etc/hosts.allow .
after installing knoppix 3.7 the last line of this file showed up like this:
ALL : ALL@ALL : DENY
i changed the DENY to ALLOW, so i suppose it means all hosts are allowed now.
for me this works fine..
bye

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00
Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00
Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99
Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99
MPH MACBCOOL Cooling Module for Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Plus 1001-250
$1000.00
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00
Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00