This is perhaps due to the fact that the Knoppix kernel is not configured for Multi-LUN support. You could recompile and see if that fixes it.
I have two USB devices: a Seagate 20MB hard drive, and a CF Reader. When the Seagate is plugged in at boot, it hangs at the device configuration stage of the bootup. When the CF Reader is plugged in without the Seagate drive, bootup goes normally only when the reader is plugged into one of my two USB ports; when plugged into the other, it hangs during autoconfiguration just like the Seagate drive. (The Seagate drive behaves identically no matter which port it is plugged into.) I can boot using failsafe, but, of course, no usb devices are found.
How can I get more information about what is going wrong during the autoconfiguration process? In particular, the fact that the CF Reader works differently depending on which USB port it is plugged into suggests to me that this might be a bug. Any suggestions?
This is perhaps due to the fact that the Knoppix kernel is not configured for Multi-LUN support. You could recompile and see if that fixes it.
I don't understand what Multi-LUN has to do with it. The problems I have show themselves when only one USB device is plugged in. Am I missing something?

Lot of 20 Micron 16GB DDR4-3200 ECC RDIMM 2Rx8 MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1 320GB
$2399.99
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
4x SK hynix 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN 256GB TESTED
$2399.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
Lot of 6 Micron 4GB PC4-2666V-UC0 DDR4 2666MHz RAM MTA4ATF51264AZ-2G6E1 24GB Kit
$110.00