Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Can you see your kernel?

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    Thxs,

    I'll try to use that and to have it working!

    Ludo

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Thxs,

    I'll try to use that and to have it working!

    Ludo
    I'm getting back into this (Linux) after being away from it for a few years which is why my memory is a tad spotty. A few years back, I once walked someone through a kernel config over IRC. Anyway, one thing I do recall is that you should make sure you keep your old kernel available and set it up as a boot option on LILO or GRUB or whatever you are using. This way, should something go wrong, you can still get into your system.

    I'm sure there is more on this in this forum. Otherwise, Google for a Kernel HOWTO or look for it on the Linux Documentation Project (LDP) website.

    Once you've gotten a backup kernel working, you can then work on customizing your new kernel without having to worry about hosing your system.


    Good luck,

    Joe

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    yep that's the same for me
    Me, my spots and my 386! lol Red hat 4.2 I think

    I wante dto come to linux for a long time, but was not able due to TV-card etc...
    But now, on my laptop, I definetely want it. It will take time to get used to it but once I'll master it, I do not leave it!

    And regarding the kernel, i already screwed up once... But thanks to the boot disk, I manage to get things working again!

    cheers,
    ludo

    [edit]
    edited for profanity, please choose the words more carefully.

    Stephen
    [/edit]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. remaster kernel--Kernel Panic: VFS......
    By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
  2. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  3. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Kernel Source 2.4.23-xfs and Kernel install for wlan-ng
    By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99