Hi there !
When running KDE on Knoppix 3.2 there's every three seconds a short harddisk aktivity.
Is it a bug ? How could I stop it ?
Can anybody help ? Thanks !
Hi there !
When running KDE on Knoppix 3.2 there's every three seconds a short harddisk aktivity.
Is it a bug ? How could I stop it ?
Can anybody help ? Thanks !
Are you running from the CD. How much memory does your computer have? Maybe this is just knoppix accessing swap space on your hd.
Also in addition to aay suggestion if you are using a journaled file system etx3, reiser, etc.. that could be the commit write to the drive happening to keep the journal in sync this would of course be on a HD install.Originally Posted by peip
Thanks for your reply.Originally Posted by aay
It's a HD-installation. I think it's a problem of KDE, because when running another environment, like Windowmaker for example, the system behaves 'normally'.
Thanks for your reply.Originally Posted by Stephen
A Reiser File System is used but I think it's a problem of KDE, because when running another environment, like Windowmaker for example, the system behaves 'normally'.
Well then as aay said how much memory do you have KDE is a memory hog if it is using the swap partition a lot it has to access the HD. To check how much of the swap memory is being used open a console window and enter top it gives you a running total open and close a few apps and see if the "problem" persists.Originally Posted by peip
Hi Stephen, thank you for your immediate replies. The problem has been solved. I installed knoppix again and it works. Perhaps this behaviour could be traced back to the webmin or opengroupware.org installation.Originally Posted by Stephen
Well if it started happening after installing one of the programs then I would say yes the only way to check would be to install them again and see if it happens one more time and I would say it is most probably the open groupware I have used the webmin before and never seen any problems with it never tried the groupware so don't know about that.Originally Posted by peip

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
8x A100 40GB PCIe 4U Server 2x AMD 128C 1TB DDR4 AI ML HPC w/ NV Link GPU Server
$59000.00
Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00