Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz

  1. #31
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Well the whales ate all other choices but:
    3.)partition
    6.)quit
    except they're numbered 1 and 2.....

    Deja vu all over again!

    Arrggghhhh,

  2. #32
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Well the whales ate all other choices but:
    3.)partition
    6.)quit
    except they're numbered 1 and 2.....

    Deja vu all over again!

    Arrggghhhh,
    At least the printer is working. Perhaps you should file a bug on the package Fabian may be able to do something with the script definitely strange though I used it a few times testing it and never seen this.

  3. #33
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I don't know, it must be me. I've only been using KNOPPIX since V2.2 so you'd think I wouldn't be having all these problems lately!

    Anyway, I'm afraid to post a bug. I may get a great response like last time....

    OK, so I go boot the CD, start a root shell and invoke knoppix-installer. The first GUI screen I get is the Initialization Screen with info on the authors and a warning about knowing what you're doing.

    Now the next screen works fine!!! I take it all back. I don't know why the 3 other times I tried it, knoppix-installer only had those 2 options after the init screen.

    Well, now I don't need it as I did knx-hdinstall. I guess I can play with it at school when I install my 25 new PCs....

    Regards,

  4. #34
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, so I go boot the CD, start a root shell and invoke knoppix-installer. The first GUI screen I get is the Initialization Screen with info on the authors and a warning about knowing what you're doing.

    Now the next screen works fine!!! I take it all back. I don't know why the 3 other times I tried it, knoppix-installer only had those 2 options after the init screen.
    On the first three the HD was not already partitioned for linux right? I never went through that I already had the partitions there, that's about the only difference I can see where the problem would be.

  5. #35
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    No, the partitions were there.

    My kids managed to fry hda1 with the blaster worm. So I had already used the KNOPPIX CD with cfdisk to delete hda1 (20GB WINME) and create 3 new partitions: hda1 (10GB VFAT32), hda2 (9.5GB linux) and hda3 (0.5GB linux swap). Then I instaled WINXP on hda1 (for the wife and kidsdon't ya know) and knx-hdinstalled hda2/hda3. No need for qtparted....

    Oh, here's another curiousity. After I installed everything as per above, when I boot the CD, it only lists hda1 and hda2 on the desktop. After creating the 3 partitions with cfdisk, but before using knx-hdinstall, all 3 partitions were listed on the desktop when I booted the CD. What does this mean?

    Regards,

  6. #36
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    No, the partitions were there.
    Oh, here's another curiousity. After I installed everything as per above, when I boot the CD, it only lists hda1 and hda2 on the desktop. After creating the 3 partitions with cfdisk, but before using knx-hdinstall, all 3 partitions were listed on the desktop when I booted the CD. What does this mean?

    Regards,
    Damn strange indeed, the three partitions showing up would be correct as you have to initialize the /swap partition once you installed then it was a true /swap that was initialized and would not show up. BTW when you partitioned you could have made 4 partitions (windows, /, /swap and one for /home) so you could have a proper /home partition in case you ever want to re-install, as so many people seem to do when a new version comes out, it would save you time and effort getting everything back the way it you want it. If you go this route you should save the files you change in /etc somewhere in the /home then it's just a matter of new install of knoppix point to the correct /home partition by restoring the /etc/fstab and the other files from the saved /etc while the CD is still booted then when you re-boot after install voila there is the system as you left it with a new knoppix.

  7. #37
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Oh, so once the swap partition is initialized, it doesn't show up as a separate partition anymore? OK, I didn't know that.

    The separate root and home partition idea is a good one. However, I'm used to backing up all my important data to a CD anytime I play around with reinstalling OSes. So I'm OK as is.

    Regards,

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Need to modify post-install initrd (Fabian, can you help?)
    By SUOrangeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2003, 04:12 PM
  2. Help with F-Prot install script from Fabian!
    By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 11:26 PM
  3. Modularized version of KNOPPIX by Fabian Franz
    By gizmu in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 01:36 AM
  4. Is there a How-To for the new installer from Fabian Franz?
    By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 06:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95