My gut feeling is "no", but maybe some other more knowledgable souls will chime in here.
I see that one major new feature in the Knoppix V2003-07-24 release is the V2.4.21 kernel. Is there a straightforward way of using this release to upgrade the kernel in my HD-installed 06-06 release? Is it worth the effort? I was hoping that it would be easier than recompiling. This is one area of Linux that I know little about, though I'm learning fast...
Thanks!
My gut feeling is "no", but maybe some other more knowledgable souls will chime in here.
Here's one *untested* suggestiion, which I believe should work.Originally Posted by Loper
I don't have a working hd-installed knoppix myself to confirm, though.
Boot from the new CD, open a shell and become root (su -).
Mount (rw) your hd partition, say to /MYHD. Then rename those two directories:
# mv /MYHD/boot /MYHD/boot.org
# mv /MYHD/lib/modules /MYHD/lib/modules.org
Now replace them with the newer versions from the live CD:
# cp -a /KNOPPIX/boot /MYHD/boot
# cp -a /KNOPPIX/lib/modules /MYHD/lib/modules
# sync
# unmount /MYHD
Now reboot from HD, and you should enjoy the updated kernel.
If it fails, don't panic, you can restart the live CD, and
restore the two original directories that we have merely renamed.
Admittedly this is a tad crude, and won't transfer the newer boot
logic that may have been build into the startup scripts, but the
kernel switch at least should be painless.
Regards, and please let us know !-)
Hi baldyeti,
I think your suggestion will not work. If it was this easy to update the kernel then everyone will do it but linux is not this easy![]()
To use a new kernel one has to COMPILE it into the system.The kernel happens to be THE MAIN LINUX SYSTEM. So you cannot change it by just copying and pasting files.For one who is not using a hard disk installed linux this is not possible because your file system is READ-ONLY.
Well if you don't try, then we'll never know !-) I just use the so-called poor man'sOriginally Posted by bongski55
installation of knoppix. I have a SuSE installation though, which happily can boot
either a 2.2 or a 2.4 kernel, and have upgraded those kernels several times and
tweaked the lilo config accordingly.
Hence my suggestions. And remember it's all reversible!
No need to shout. You did not compile the kernel which your hd-installationOriginally Posted by bongski55
currently uses, did you? You mereley copied the stock kernel provided by knoppix.
I don't see why the newer kernel that comes with the newer CD's couldn't be
copied as well. You only need to compile a kernel if you want to tune it, statically
link some drivers or somesuch adjustment.
And you said you had an hd-install, so you should be able to mount your filesystem
in read-write mode, and perform the suggested renames and copies.
But it's your call, naturally.
Cheers.
Hi!
Have you tried your method in your SuSe installation?

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
Preppie (Atari 400 800) Adventure International /Russ Wetmore Game
$17.99
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97
Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working
$150.00