-
I must say that since i came across knoppix i became a Debian user after many failed attempts to install debian now is there a definitive litterature on debian that i could use the ones i've seen at the bookstore are very general and not for the Newbie
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: aay, can you help me?

Originally Posted by
hiweed
Hi aay, I come from China.
Some friends ask me to add the Knoppix's auto detection and configuration abilities to Debian's miniCD ISO.
Hmm. Do they want this in order to make installing debian easier? Perhaps just showing them how to use the installer on knoppix would be a better route. There is a new installer on the new release and it has some significant improvements.
If you are looking for something that will fit on a small CD, then you ought to check out Bonzai Linux. Bonzai is debian based, on a small CD, and has been tweaked to make the install easier than Debian. It doesn't use the same hardware detection process that Knoppix does, but it's easier to use than a stock Debian.
Hope this helps
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
dougvega
I must say that since i came across knoppix i became a Debian user after many failed attempts to install debian now is there a definitive litterature on debian that i could use the ones i've seen at the bookstore are very general and not for the Newbie
Probably the best thing to do is to download and print off some of the documentation here.
You can also look at http://www.aboutdebian.com for an overview.
I'm not sure about published material that is solely about Debian. There are some general books about Linux that would be applicable to Debian.
Rute: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz (Also available in book form at Amazon)
The Linux Newbie Administrator Guide: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Saying "pure Debian" is like "purebred"- nothing but a meaningless term. Afterall that 'purebred' dog may have existed in its present form for 1000 years but before that, it was something else. The strongest survive, the cream rises to the surface, etc.
So right!

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Some Debian users and devs that I have spoken with consider Knoppix to be a bastard child, an affront. Whatever..........
Sad but true.
There is no doubt that people will take Debain and continue to streamline it and implement their own ideas. Sometimes I wish this process would go a little faster. I don't mind taking Knoppix, installing it, and using it as me defualt Desktop, but I've got some friends and family members who wouldn't be able to manage w/o an easier install and more configuration tools. I'd like to be able to give them something oneday. I'm sure it will happen it will be just a matter of time.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: aay, can you help me?

Originally Posted by
aay
If you are looking for something that will fit on a small CD, then you ought to check out
Bonzai Linux. Bonzai is debian based, on a small CD, and has been tweaked to make the install easier than Debian. It doesn't use the same hardware detection process that Knoppix does, but it's easier to use than a stock Debian.
Hope this helps
I'll second that recomendation Bonzai is a great way to get a small (about 150mb) base install of Debian, if you don't install KDE, on the HD you just have to know your hardware and select the proper options during the install.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Integration of Knoppix into Debian
This is my Project ... 
No, seriously I am working on that and the first step is to get almost all packages into debian.
Next step is to wake up and make udebs for the new debian-installer, to be able to use the still developed kudzu instead of the by progeny once developed discover. (It did not work for me on miniwoody).
I'll have an own Knoppix-Repository ready soon nad will also get this packages back to Klaus.
cu
Fabian
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Integration of Knoppix into Debian

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
This is my Project ...
No, seriously I am working on that and the first step is to get almost all packages into debian.
Next step is to wake up and make udebs for the new debian-installer, to be able to use the still developed kudzu instead of the by progeny once developed discover. (It did not work for me on miniwoody).
I'll have an own Knoppix-Repository ready soon nad will also get this packages back to Klaus.
cu
Fabian
Woohoo! Sounds great.
BTW, I LOVE the new installer. I just gave it a trial run and am going to post some thoughts in the Lounge when I get a chance. The improvements in this installer are really nice!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: aay, can you help me?

Originally Posted by
aay
Hmm. Do they want this in order to make installing debian easier?
Oh yes, it is so hard to install some hardwares via Debian. So we want to replace the bootfile of Debian's boot CD with Knoppix's. So, our small CD can install these hardwares easilly like Knoppix.

Originally Posted by
aay
If you are looking for something that will fit on a small CD, then you ought to check out
Bonzai Linux. Bonzai is debian based, on a small CD, and has been tweaked to make the install easier than Debian. It doesn't use the same hardware detection process that Knoppix does, but it's easier to use than a stock Debian.
Thank you so much!
I am downloading the bonzai_2_1.iso now. Then I'll work on it.
Thanks and regards!
Hiweed.
-
Some Debian users and devs that I have spoken with consider Knoppix to be a bastard child, an affront.
That's funny: I thought Debian was open-source and that the point of open source software was that anyone could change it to suit them. I'm still a Linux newbie; have I misunderstood the open source movement?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
three eyes open
Some Debian users and devs that I have spoken with consider Knoppix to be a bastard child, an affront.
That's funny: I thought Debian was open-source and that the point of open source software was that anyone could change it to suit them. I'm still a Linux newbie; have I misunderstood the open source movement?
Well you're right in theory, but I think that there are a lot of Debian users who think that the installer is no good unless it's a pain in the ass to use. I've never understood this personally. It would be nice if the new installer had used an auto detection / configuration process like Knoppix, but had an expert or manual option for people who want to do everything themselves.
Similar Threads
-
By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
-
By trivas7 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By grupsapa in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:19 PM
-
By datakid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
-
By freeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD
$17000.00

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 11 - 2x Xeon Gold 6th Gen - 512 GB DDR5 - 2x 800 GB HDD
$15000.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00