Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: should Debian *follow* Knoppix?

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    36
    I must say that since i came across knoppix i became a Debian user after many failed attempts to install debian now is there a definitive litterature on debian that i could use the ones i've seen at the bookstore are very general and not for the Newbie

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: aay, can you help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by hiweed
    Hi aay, I come from China.
    Some friends ask me to add the Knoppix's auto detection and configuration abilities to Debian's miniCD ISO.
    Hmm. Do they want this in order to make installing debian easier? Perhaps just showing them how to use the installer on knoppix would be a better route. There is a new installer on the new release and it has some significant improvements.

    If you are looking for something that will fit on a small CD, then you ought to check out Bonzai Linux. Bonzai is debian based, on a small CD, and has been tweaked to make the install easier than Debian. It doesn't use the same hardware detection process that Knoppix does, but it's easier to use than a stock Debian.

    Hope this helps

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by dougvega
    I must say that since i came across knoppix i became a Debian user after many failed attempts to install debian now is there a definitive litterature on debian that i could use the ones i've seen at the bookstore are very general and not for the Newbie
    Probably the best thing to do is to download and print off some of the documentation here.

    You can also look at http://www.aboutdebian.com for an overview.

    I'm not sure about published material that is solely about Debian. There are some general books about Linux that would be applicable to Debian.

    Rute: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz (Also available in book form at Amazon)

    The Linux Newbie Administrator Guide: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Saying "pure Debian" is like "purebred"- nothing but a meaningless term. Afterall that 'purebred' dog may have existed in its present form for 1000 years but before that, it was something else. The strongest survive, the cream rises to the surface, etc.
    So right!

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Some Debian users and devs that I have spoken with consider Knoppix to be a bastard child, an affront. Whatever..........
    Sad but true.

    There is no doubt that people will take Debain and continue to streamline it and implement their own ideas. Sometimes I wish this process would go a little faster. I don't mind taking Knoppix, installing it, and using it as me defualt Desktop, but I've got some friends and family members who wouldn't be able to manage w/o an easier install and more configuration tools. I'd like to be able to give them something oneday. I'm sure it will happen it will be just a matter of time.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: aay, can you help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    If you are looking for something that will fit on a small CD, then you ought to check out Bonzai Linux. Bonzai is debian based, on a small CD, and has been tweaked to make the install easier than Debian. It doesn't use the same hardware detection process that Knoppix does, but it's easier to use than a stock Debian.

    Hope this helps
    I'll second that recomendation Bonzai is a great way to get a small (about 150mb) base install of Debian, if you don't install KDE, on the HD you just have to know your hardware and select the proper options during the install.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Integration of Knoppix into Debian

    This is my Project ...

    No, seriously I am working on that and the first step is to get almost all packages into debian.

    Next step is to wake up and make udebs for the new debian-installer, to be able to use the still developed kudzu instead of the by progeny once developed discover. (It did not work for me on miniwoody).

    I'll have an own Knoppix-Repository ready soon nad will also get this packages back to Klaus.

    cu

    Fabian

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Integration of Knoppix into Debian

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    This is my Project ...

    No, seriously I am working on that and the first step is to get almost all packages into debian.

    Next step is to wake up and make udebs for the new debian-installer, to be able to use the still developed kudzu instead of the by progeny once developed discover. (It did not work for me on miniwoody).

    I'll have an own Knoppix-Repository ready soon nad will also get this packages back to Klaus.

    cu

    Fabian
    Woohoo! Sounds great.

    BTW, I LOVE the new installer. I just gave it a trial run and am going to post some thoughts in the Lounge when I get a chance. The improvements in this installer are really nice!

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12

    Re: aay, can you help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Hmm. Do they want this in order to make installing debian easier?
    Oh yes, it is so hard to install some hardwares via Debian. So we want to replace the bootfile of Debian's boot CD with Knoppix's. So, our small CD can install these hardwares easilly like Knoppix.

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    If you are looking for something that will fit on a small CD, then you ought to check out Bonzai Linux. Bonzai is debian based, on a small CD, and has been tweaked to make the install easier than Debian. It doesn't use the same hardware detection process that Knoppix does, but it's easier to use than a stock Debian.
    Thank you so much!
    I am downloading the bonzai_2_1.iso now. Then I'll work on it.
    Thanks and regards!

    Hiweed.

  9. #19
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    33
    Some Debian users and devs that I have spoken with consider Knoppix to be a bastard child, an affront.
    That's funny: I thought Debian was open-source and that the point of open source software was that anyone could change it to suit them. I'm still a Linux newbie; have I misunderstood the open source movement?

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by three eyes open
    Some Debian users and devs that I have spoken with consider Knoppix to be a bastard child, an affront.
    That's funny: I thought Debian was open-source and that the point of open source software was that anyone could change it to suit them. I'm still a Linux newbie; have I misunderstood the open source movement?
    Well you're right in theory, but I think that there are a lot of Debian users who think that the installer is no good unless it's a pain in the ass to use. I've never understood this personally. It would be nice if the new installer had used an auto detection / configuration process like Knoppix, but had an expert or manual option for people who want to do everything themselves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix -> debian-like -> debian
    By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. from knoppix to debian.
    By grupsapa in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:19 PM
  4. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
  5. Knoppix to Debian How ?
    By freeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$448.20



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



HPE 32GB PC4-3200aa ECC 1Rx4 Memory P38519-0A1 P39382-001 HMAA4GR7AJR4N-XN picture

HPE 32GB PC4-3200aa ECC 1Rx4 Memory P38519-0A1 P39382-001 HMAA4GR7AJR4N-XN

$349.99



16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25 picture

16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25

$17.99



(LOT OF 8) M393A8G40BB4-CWE  SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200A SERVER MEMORY picture

(LOT OF 8) M393A8G40BB4-CWE SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200A SERVER MEMORY

$6329.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95